How to change Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 sample rating?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by barah sherlock, Mar 21, 2017.

1. barah sherlock

barah sherlock Noisemaker

Hey guys :)

Is there a way to change the bit and sample rating for Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, I'm trying to get it to 24 bit and 48k.

I've tried changing from windows -> sound but there only seems to be 16 bit options.. and when I select 48k, it says "Format is not supported by this device". Any ideas?

Thanks again :)

PS. When I select the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver in my DAW, I get 48k but the Scarlett one gives me 44k.

3. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

You need to use the "ASIO control panel" from focusrite. :winker:

4. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

1. Close DAW and all Audio Programs ( anything using audio )
    2. Do what u already did ( for both playback and rec devices... change their samplerate )
    3. Change it in the daw too

If that don t work, check that you have the latest beta drivers

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

In the windows settings you can't set bitrate, so it will always show 16bit. That's the directsound 'emulation' to get normal applications to use the device. It will show /use the sample-rate you set in the ASIO control panel and will always show 16bit. Like I said, just for 'normal' directsound applications.

ASIO audio applications can request their own samplerate and will always use 24bit.

Make sure your DAW (or other asio application) is set to the same samplerate as the 'asio control panel' to make applications 'share' the device.

6. G String

G String Rock Star

2i2 can't do 24bit in windows: the highest sample rate that can set in Windows control panel is DVD quality - 16 bit 96k.

However, things like Foobar media player *can* set either focusrite driver or ASIO to 24/96 --- as can your DAW.

I set Nvidia Gfx card as "default sound device" in Win (24/192) but use 2i2 in DAW and Foobar for music making/listening. That way I have two outputs - both 24bit - that can play diff things at the same time. [I listen to talk radio when using DAW]

*ETA - I don't have the issues you do with 48k. I can select 16 bit 48k in Windows control panel, or in FL. In FL I can choose "Focusrite Driver" and set project rate to 44.1, 48, 96. No errors.

What 2i2 is it? V1 or 2? What driver you using? Which Windows? What DAW?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

Recording and playback sample-rate and freq. must be sorted inside the DAW you use. Nothing to do with the Focusrite.

Open your DAW and in Control panel/setup (whatever) select 24bit for recording and playback. You should also be able to select bit-rate for rendering (16/24/32bit). Bitrate can usually be changed after a project is started so your DAW should be able to mix audio files of different sample-rates (doing sample conversion on the fly).

The freq. of the whole project must be selected when you create a new project and this is also done inside the DAW (44.1/48/96k).
    The Focusrite, when opening the DAW and any given project, will adapt its own configuration automatically to the project.

8. G String

G String Rock Star

What, even when it says "Device doesn't support 192K" (because it doesn't)? ;)

Not if the device doesn't support such a configuration. 2i2 can't do 192. But otherwise, yeah.

9. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

It goes without saying that you can only set-up the DAW to what the audio interface can support. And although I didn't mention 192K because I knew the 2i2 didn't support it, I welcome your rectification and thank you. :bow: