How to change DFD preload buffer size in certain instruments

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by drdark2, Apr 2, 2014.

1. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Some instruments load all samples into RAM. I was not able to change DFD buffer size; these instruments simply do not respond to these attempts. Last examples were Best Service Cantus instruments. I am limited with RAM so I would like to lower the buffer size.
    Anyone...?

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

To modify DFD buffer size, the samples needs to be loaded as DFD. In Cantus, most samples are loaded to RAM in their full length (Sampler), meaning the buffer size has no effect. There's a workaround to purge all samples, but one has to be equipped with SSD to avoid glitches. *yes*

4. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Can an instrument be modified to load samples as DFD? Meaning saving the patch, or even patch + samples with different instructions...

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

You can select all groups in Group editor, click sampler drop-down menu and then select DFD. All samples will be reloaded and you should see reduced footprint in RAM, however please note that time-stretching does not work for DSD, which may result in abnormal function of the patch.

6. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

One last question: how can I know if an instrument is using time-stretching function? I am not using it consciously on any instrument...

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Time-stretching is usually programmed through Time Machine Pro. Some developers use its functionality to shrink/prolong certain samples, like portamento or glissando, in some cases even legato transition. This gives you the control over how fast the transition is, but at a higher RAM usage. LA Scoring Strings is among the best examples where the time-stretching feature is very well implemented, the script lets you to choose between Speed (everything in RAM) and DFD. *yes*

8. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

I will try your advice on Cantus, it has phrases, so maybe it adjusts the length of the samples according to the DAW tempo. If it does, then I will know if DFD works with time machine. Now we know who to ask when KontaktGuru is not around! (I first PM'd him, but he is not answering).

Edit: Yes, Time machine does not work with DFD on; the speed slider simply does not have effect, but in this case I don't need it, so your advice, Andrew, was exploited to my benefit. :wink:

9. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

LOL, Thanks Andrew

Sorry drdark2 i have been a busy man lately with album projects I'm on(i think i took on too much work lol, but I'm managing) :wink: