How to build a touch screen controller for Cubase?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Bunford, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I love the look of the Slate Digital Raven and the idea of it, but it's obviously VERY expensive. Also, I love the functionality of the touch screen macros and shortcuts used in Cubase by the likes of Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL. I've also seen things like the Ergato Stream Deck that seems a similar solution, though on a much smaller scale and with hardware buttons rather than touch screen.

Has anyone built any type of touch screen controller for Cubase at all? Or any other DAW I guess as the principles would be similar. Or has anyone got any idea how to about something like this?

HansZimmerMasterClass.jpg maxresdefault.jpg Hans Zimmer_DAW.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It looks (essentially) just like they're using a big tablet. Which would be one solution, massive iPad & use smthn liek Lemur or TouchOSC. It is a bit of a faff to fiddle around w/ but there are templates out there. Or build ur own, I know I did for various libs..? Anyway, I found it much easier to use a control surface. At least until haptic is a bit better?

4. beatletown

beatletown Guest

So far the best is metagrid and its also cheap, but you need an ipad. You can get it in the appstore.
    Forget about building your own. Way too much work. Metagrid is easy to set up and works with macros, etc.
    Works also with other software like pro tools, etc...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. timer

timer Producer

6. beatletown

beatletown Guest

7. timer

timer Producer

Will try, just installed it. Tx!

8. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

TouchOSC works pretty well, is configurable and runs on cheap android devices.
    It is - by the way - a shame that steinberg isn't in the mood for interpreting multitouch in windows 8.1 or 10. I guess they think they would sell less nuages if they did.

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Before purchasing Metagrid, make sure you have a look at Steinberg's own Cubase iC Pro app.
    Similar purpose, different way of doing it.

Edit: I'm personally not a fan of such apps, in daily use I've found that creating my own "most logical" keyboard shortcuts works better than a second screen (I don't have to look at and reserve desktop space for it), and it's faster too.
    Finding less frequently used options won't be faster than using the mouse and menus either.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. beatletown

beatletown Guest

@fiction
    If you have a spare ipad or you can get a used one, try it out. It is very similar to what Hans and Junkie use. Metagrid is as fast as the keyboard, no latency.
    It offers so much especially if you do big projects or use big templates, it saves you tons of time.
    You can navigate between menus, like you can have commands for only midi, mixer, views, macros, kontakt libraries and you can navigate between them with just a finger swipe, so it offers a lot more commands than a keyboard and you can see what each command is easily, with your own custom buttons.

11. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yes, having two iPads, I have tried multiple similar apps - both for musical and non-musical use. I'm still regularly using Lemur and TBMidiStuff.
    There are other apps on the Appstore that let you use custom pads and assign function macros that are mapped e.g. to keyboard shortcuts on the PC or Mac.
    Using the iPad for synth and fx remote control is very valuable because it just feels better than mouse clicking or menu diving. But recalling program functions from a touch screen has proven to be much less of a usability and speed advantage for me.
    That's my own experience. I don't say it couldn't help others :wink:

13. adsasdasd

adsasdasd Ultrasonic

They both are using dell's touch screens. And their system work on a pc (Win). But don't think that they are HZ and JXL so they are using the best system available. There are better and more modern ways of using touch screens with DAW's. Take a look at these links;

https://flow.marcodistefano.art/ If you can contact with this individual you can create awesome lemur sets.

https://osc.ammd.net/ Alternate to lemur. Better IMO.

https://vi-control.net/community/th...l-an-alternative-to-lemur-and-touchosc.72643/

up link is about: How to set up Open Stage Control

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

15. KAPLAIN

KAPLAIN Newbie

Hi, you should try CubaZen by Zen DAW
    you will get 300 premapped Cubase/Nuendo actions for any touchscreen monitor, no driver to install, runs independently from your DAW
    and it is very stable. Available only for WIndows. You get it to run in 5 minutes.
    A free Trial version is available with limited actions but the paid version is quite cheap for the work done. And it looks great!

http://www.zendaw.com

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual