How to bring a sound to the (out)side(s) of your mix or image

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by insaner, Sep 11, 2016.

1. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question again, but i can't seem to understand this basic thing.
    For example; take a lead sound, and add another sound more on the (out) side of your mix or image. How can you archive this?

Panning...
    Delay....
    Reverb...
    Stereotool / Imager...

I tried all of them but only panning get the result i want, but i can get it only on one side of course (2 identical sounds) Because it cancel each other out or due to phasing if i am correct, the sounds is not the same anymore in mono.

If you just do some L/R EQ differences it is not going to work either right?
    Because I want to have the same sound (it is oke if they are a bit different)

Keep in mind the mono signal has to be perfect.
    And the sides of your mix i really mean the sides like you do a hard pan or at 3/9 o clock.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I'm having trouble understanding what you want but if

"I want to make a mono/thin sound wide but hve zero mono downmix issues" then i cna answer that:

You can:

• Use a comber: PSP Pseudostereo, Nugen Stereoizer (turn off ITD to disable delay) [make sure you don't make it too wide, else !mono compat]
    • Shift phase of one channel by 90degrees or 45degrees each in opposite directions: PHA-979, phasebug

see also

4. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Thanks junh1024 for your help!

I am going to try it and then i get back to you if it helped:)

5. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

That cancels each other out. A perfect mono signal is one, where the source has no gimmicks applied to make just one sound appear wider. Only two things make your ears believe that there's one wide stereo sound:
    1) Time manipulation
    2) Phase manipulation

But for a perfect mono signal both are risky. When you don't want to make a special mono mix, you just have the chance to do trail & error.
    You might get away with a sound signal that sits in the middle and a second sound that you just alter slightly, but then run through a modulated panner (with the lfo running relatively fast, like 60 Hz or above).

Don't use the Haas effect.

This might be interesting too:

6. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Yup that PHA-979 is a nice tool it works, also thank you tulamide for the further explanation about how to achieve a wider sound.

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

As 979 is phase shifter, the sound is still actually mono, except for the phase. Don't hesiitate to very lightly add a bit of reverb or other stereoization if you feel it sounds too perfect or unnatural.

If you want to do combing for FREE (like MySQL), try ReaJS/LOSER/pseudostereo from reaplugs http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/ , use the comb (right)side & don't make it too wide (check).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016