How to block Ableton Live via host file

Discussion in 'Live' started by Alpha0ne, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know how to block AL via hosts file on Windows 7 64bit? Although i blocked AL beta via Firewall rules it has the possibility to connect to servers and updates itself. So i think
    that there is no use with the nonbetas of AL, either. And thats why some vstplugins are turning to demomode after a while.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

3. mono

mono Audiosexual

hi im not sure what all the links are that live uses to call home
    so if you miss one in your host file youll be back were you started,

There are a few other ways to block live
    you could try this free firewall it will block everything
    daw-plugins-hackers.

after you download zonealarm free version go off-line ( just in case of mouse slip )
    then install it and use any programs you want to block,
    you will get a popup on the right telling you the program wants to go online
    then it will ask you if you want to block it, tick yes dont ask again and block.
    it takes a few days to learn how to use it right but once its set up
    you wont have to worry about this sort of thing,
    windows firewall is not as good as zonealarm as zonealarm gives you full control over what goes on
    in the back-round and should only add about 17 mb to ram and no cpu when running.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

are you sure you have set up the windows built in firewall rules correctly?, zonealarm is only doing the same thing

there are 2 rules to be created - inbound/outbound, you need to block all connections against the ableton live suite application (.exe)

5. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

i think , if you deactivate auto-update in ableton, you dont need any rules on the firewall.
    But zone alarm will tell you went the VST itself (via ableton) will try to connect to internet,
    so you can accept or deny internet access manually.
    When it does happen to me, even if i check "remember action" zone alarm will not remember, but at least it will not connect.
    and i know just a few vst's doing that.
    (based on my own experience)

6. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Also Important for your firewall :
    There is 2 programs to block :
    "Ableton Index" (Ableton Index.exe)
    and
    "Live 9.1.1" (Ableton Live Suite.exe) I dont know why its called "Live 9.1.1" since i have 9.1.7 installed

7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

There is no need to tamper with your hosts file.
    If blocked correctly Live does not connect.
    What firewall are you using?

8. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Thnx for the answers. I use Windows firewall and i have only blocked Ableton Live 9 Beta.exe (and also the 64 bit version) in the outgoing rules. For incoming rules i dont think you need it. Because, where should Ableton know to send me data when i have not called him (when i blocked AL with outgoing rules, no data should been sent to attract attention of Ableton servers)? Anyway, i dont know why to block index.exe, since its just an internal indexing of AL. By the way. AL betas hasnt the option to block auto-update.

My question was whether anyone knows the serveradresses of Ableton to block them via the hosts file.

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Actually there's a separate app in the Ableton folder under ProgramData called (I think) WebConnector.exe. Might want to block that one. I'm not at home so I can't tell you exactly where it is, but poke around a little in the Ableton folders and you'll find it

10. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Cav Emp thnx bro'. its under Ableton\Ressources\Extensions there are two folders Updater and WebConnector. I renamed both folders. Lets see what will happen.