How to Batch-Compress Kontakt Libraries (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Introninja, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

I believe batch-resave & Batch-Compress is broken in 5.3.1
    Right now i recommended you batch-resave & Batch-Compress with Kontakt 5.3.0.6464 & under

Step 1:
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    [​IMG]

Step 3:
    [​IMG]

Step 4:
    [​IMG]

Step 5:
    [​IMG]

Step 6:
    [​IMG]

View:
    [​IMG]

Understand:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

First come first served :bleh:

4. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You badass motha'fmangler :grooves:

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Very useful tut for a lot of members - Salute Kontakt Guru!!!! :wink: :wink:

6. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I started to compress (and I always do) all my files since the beggining of ncw.
    Some old libs crash all the process and I had to conquer by dividing. At the time eveyone said that they never gonna use ncw, that will never be a standart because it uses more cpu.... :rofl:
    I can add one more little help...
    Be care about ram when convertting larger libs because kontakt uses it progressivelly. If you use OSX and Mavericks its ok because it cleans automaticly, but with montain lion or behind you can use the FREE memory cleaner.
    Personally I also do not like large block of NKX files because with almost any lib theres a lot to deslike and erase, if I convert the nkx to ncw sometimes you do not need to convert, just erasing the ncws and nkis.
    Hugs from Brazil!

7. recycle

recycle Guest

hey! It works! Finally The "missing files" frustration is over, I'm now converting all my libraries.

Kontaktguru, you deserve respect

8. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Thanks alot Guru!!!
    Great Post. *yes*
    Very useful for our species of "KONTAKTUS ADDICTUS" :rofl:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Lol .....! :wink:

10. Lao

Lao Newbie

hi guys

I read this post from Kontakt Guru. Its a very useful tuto. Before I started to do this...I want to know for myself and I want so be sure that nothing goes down with all my Libraries...this action compress a Libary like cinsamples cinestring about 40 GB to a small one right...and all the frustation of missing samples is over. I ask this because I got bad bad memory about missing Libaries in the last few weeks. Am I right. Thx in advance.

11. m3rcury3

m3rcury3 Newbie

Thanx a lot, Kontakt Guru! :bow: Very useful tutorial! :wink:

12. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

You must remenber that news libs have a ncw inside of The nkx files, so the size will not change (could even increase)
    One way to discover this is changing The samples location, load a nkx file and sees if kontkakt asks for Wav/aif or ncw.
    Compression is possible with outdated libs, The ones witch mantain compatiblity backwards or maybe the lazy builders :rofl:

13. Fredj

Fredj Newbie

Hi everybody,
    I followed the Guru's process for the Attic library, with Collect and compress batch functionality but in vain !!
    - I first loaded the lib into Kontakt (5.4) --OK
    - then I collect and compress...(it takes time) --OK
    - after this long process I removed the original lib from Kontakt and closed it
    - I renamed "Collected Samples" into "Samples" and moved .nicnt and wallpaper (there was nothing else..)
    - in Regedit I deleted all keys "The Attic" --OK
    - then I restarted Kontakt, Added the new lib and opened "Batch re-save" to fix samples routing...
    Great! that's work !
    But as I stop and start Kontakt again, lib disappeared ! :-((
    Pleaaase could anyone explain me what I missed ??!

another info:
    I deleted the two K5Db keys in Reg but that's useless, they come back again if the lib is added in Kontakt again.

14. Fredj

Fredj Newbie

no idea ? really ?!... :dunno:

15. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Hi guys!

Okay it's a old topic, by this way I don't want to create new one, just for simple question.

About this process to convert wav to ncw: after running "Collect samples/Batch compress", the number of ncw files (in target folder) is less than the number of wav files (from source folder), why?

I precise I'm using PC/Windows 7 Pro x64, Kontakt v5.5.0 (UNLCKD) as standalone app.

Many thanks in advance for explanations.

16. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

You have deleted registry keys (after Regedit search), but have you deleted XML related file (one for each library added in K5) from Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Service Center ? it's required to do a clean library uninstallation. Sorry for very late reply, I discover you post today.

17. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Thanks a lot Introninja for the tutorial, I start chasing the "old" library with .wav samples that I could process.

Hi there,

did you find the reason ?

I got the exact same problem with "Drums of War" library, please let me know if you did.

Edit : After googling a little bit about this it seems than Kontakt, during the batch conversion process will not includes files than are not used by NKI, so this would mean than they are indeed some wav files that sits there for nothing other than taking places on our HDs / SSDs. :thumbsdown:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  18. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

Reason 1: the patches link less files than available, in batch convert only waves used in patches/multis are processed
    Reason 2: if unlucky there are different waves sharing the same name, in this case the last overwrites the previous
    Example: Patch x.nkm uses resources from container a.nkx & b.nkx, unfortunately there are several different waves with same name, the output waves are written into a single destination folder called "x samples" and get overwritten.

Batch converting/resaving takes some attention to detail in some cases, dont let it become a routine as you might end up with broken stuff you notice too late... (always backup the original source until its 101% a proper conversion)

Myself actually prefers to convert the samples to ncw by loading just the samples into an instrument and save it to get just the ncw's out. Later i just batch resave the actual instruments. There are several versions below 5.14 able to import an unlimited amount of samples per single drop into the zone view ... then the first 127 samples are distributed from c-2 --- h7 and the rest is aligned on c8 :) sounds pointless, but it is the only way to do it without wasting time and processing power you could use for something more useful. With this method you process each wave only once, while batch converting will process just every link of each single/multi patch - you might end up with ten times the input data if files are used over and over again by different patches, not to mention the multis, as each patch saves its samples into an individual folder. There is no way to collect everything in just a single folder to avoid dupes of dupe dupes .. ^.^

This has the advantage of not converting the same samples over and over again ... just because they are linked with multiple instruments.

a very useful tool to inspect nks/x containers is unnks, it will print you a list of the content so you can check if there is something going on you should take care of. like dupes by name ... it also gives you a structural overview.

19. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Thanks for your answer HPF,

though I don't fully understand your "solution", doesn't seems an easy way to me, but it seems to be safer.

20. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

create a new blank instrument, drop all samples into it, save as patch + samples (compressed) ... then you get 100% of samples converted. after this you just resave the original instruments. sound easy for me ^^ now

21. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Will try that, thanks for sharing this.