How to backup ableton projects

Discussion in 'Live' started by Ozuna baby, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

Hi guys,
    So I wanted to be sure that i'll never lose any data from my projects in ableton live 10, in case i need to reinstall windows, data gets corrupted etc..

I was wondering what are the folders to backup. As far as I know so far it's only:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\Ableton

If there's anything else, please let me know.

3. Ikagura

Ikagura Producer

Best Answer
    It should be the only folder that you need to back up.

If you're using samples that are located somewhere else on your pc, you might want to use collect and save feature to create a copy of all external files you're using in the project and put them inside the project folder, if in case something happens to those original files, your project would still be fully functional.

4. Aural Abuser

Aural Abuser Member

I archive mine by creating a "pack"

Open the project. Go to manage files... in the files menu.
    In the File Management panel, Manage Project will show all used external files which it can collect into the project folder.
    Then Packing will zip the whole lot into a single .alp file.

5. Haliax

Haliax Guest

This is the solution you are looking for, the default save location may not contain samples unless you collect and save.

6. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Collect all/save, compress then upload it to cloud storage. Google drive, mega etc...

7. Ozuna baby

Ozuna baby Ultrasonic

Thanks for the answers guys!

The thing is I want to back everything up by setting backup and sync from google drive to automatically sync everything, so this collect all/save would make the process lose the "automatic" part xD
    Anyways I already have a backup of my samples folder, so if it's kicks snares n stuff from there i'm covered.

Good thing to know about this collect all/save though, it will be useful if I have to send a project to a friend for mixing etc. I guess ideally it should be done with all tracks flattened in case the other pc doesn't have all plugins /vst installed.

Again thanks a lot, now back to making some noise :dj:

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Where do u normally save ur ableton projects?

THats the folder u need to backup!
    Also keep in mind, when u use Kontakt stuff or plugins, which only worked limited or require big librraries, freeze the channels and collect the freeze files when u save the project, i have a lot of projects, where kontakt libraries are missing or where i used Spectrasonics atmosphere VSTi, which does not work anymore for me and when i want to listen to the projects later, i have no clue how it sounds, since i dont have the plugins installed.

And if u send stuff to a friend, as him, which plugins he has, otherwise he cant mix them ...

9. signalflow

signalflow Rock Star

Collect all save collects the sample you have in the in the project but it would be a good idea to flatten any vst as like you said other working on it may not have them.