How to avoid Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by thantrax, Jul 15, 2015.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Just like any other windows version, or mac os version, or linux distro.
    Operating systems recieve updates all the time. :rofl:

The upgrade to windows 7 from xp was as smooth as it could possibly can be and I never had any issue with my os again. No heartaches, no cussin, no fussin.
    There is no reason for me to believe that this time it will be different...

2. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Ha, ha. Well apparently, you're one a very lucky few, fraifimushi. And, that's a good thing, but by no means typical. Congratulations!

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

update from xp to 7 was smooth also for me. Rc1 hm and modded all works fine. What's kind of trouble did you encounter??

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

It could still run A bit faster because W7 doesn't have the W8 (tickless) kernel improvements.

The 90% figure is debateable. I do audioing, but

I don't use ASIO because

• Surround support here isn't great. Sometimes even stereo mode is iffy.
    • Sometimes I need multiple apps to sound
    • I sometimes want low latency, but times I record are rare, so I can live with it

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

No problem junh1024... I am not looking for a debate.

wanted just to illustrate my point of view, and to say just a few reasons why I have chosen not to upgrade.

I do mostly recording, so ASIO is essential for me (until they come up with something better)
    I am not a producer; I am a player, so low latency comes before everything else.

With Win7 I get everything I need, so upgrading is pointless for me at the moment; that fore I will take the luxury to say I pass this time, and see how the other players reacts.

6. Tenbob

Tenbob Noisemaker

So, Win 10 has rolling updates. What's the deal for people whose PC is not connected to the net?

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

no deal, but I suppose, than You do not need Win 10 and all its "networking and privacy" shit ?!?

8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Solution is actually quite simple - don't access internet through Windows. Disable all network services, and use VM to access the net through bridged adapter. This way your host will be 100% safe (101% safe with VT-d translated network adapter as Windows wouldn't even recognize it) from outside intrusions, be it viruses, NSA or Microsoft *yes*
    Keep Windows 7 if you like, and install updates manually, although they might not be needed at all. *yes*

9. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

If i were Microsoft i would make the update an essential service. So if you kill it you actually shut down your PC. I'm sure that they are already thinking about this. But atleast for now it's non of my business. Win7 forever.

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Running 10. Fairly painless so far.........

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. d32r

d32r Member

I took the plunge and I absolutely Love it. Takes a bit of tweaking to get rid of chaotic bloat but once your organized its obvious that this infact a pretty decent leap forward for Microsoft. Not one single issue thus far!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

am i seeing double sausage.. or just double piano cats... :unsure:

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I took the leap of faith from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

Gotta say, I am WAY more than happy! Runs like butter already, all my software (Cubase Pro 8, Ableton 9, Sibelius 7, Photoshop, Premiere, Sony Vegas, Corel Painter, Final Draft 9, Steam etc) all working perfectly smooth with no glitches. All plugins etc loading in fine too. Surprisingly, all my hardware works perfectly too, including my Akai MPK49, Wacom Intuo Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Notavtion Launchpad S as well as all my external hard drives.

It seems to be smoother too, running (finally for a Windows system) like there is nothing holding it back, no friction etc. Also, has tons of privacy settings so you can easily choose to not share things if you don't want to.

I would seriously advice the upgrade to anyone considering it. When you install, it saves your previous OS and gives you a month of them running side by side with an inbuilt option in the settings to roll back to your old OS if you don't like Windows 10. After that initial month, i think the roll back option is removed.

To me, now i have been using for a couple of days, it seems like a no brainer!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

yes,it can

15. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

I have windows 10 on my new laptop for audio production and it work very well with no problem at all & I even tested for a friend of mine his copy of final draft 8 & 9 & even portable version on win 10 pro and it worked with no problem at all.
    i confirm all hardware yamaha , Roland , korg , akai , seaboard.... work pretty well

- My way of work is :::

* Desktop = Win 8.1
    * Old Laptop = Win 7 SP1
    * New Laptop = Windows 10 Pro

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  16. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I do not agree, do you have a source where this statement came from?
    Even with ASIO drivers you have to depend on OS implementation..
    Cubase their struggle show things have been changing (and I don't mean their ''Quicktime'' problems

17. The Iceman

The Iceman Kapellmeister

Wow I'm 90% convinced to make the switch... gonna give it a till end of summer and see if everyone is still stoked about it.. thank you everyone for all the great info though

18. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I do not understand ???

- I am the source, ASIO works perfectly fine for me on Win7 (and even Xp).

[​IMG]

low latency and never had a crash because of the drivers.
    Perfectly suited for playing a guitar through some Amp sims, or for using kontakt instruments with a keyboard controller; both in a live environment.
    and keep in mind that it is a quite old interface on an old E7600 configuration

I doubt that with Win10 and their drivers I could get a better performance or stability... (anyway, I don’t need nothing better than what I get now on Win7 with ASIO drivers)

19. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

sorry I didn't read your sentence correctly. You are right, in your situation it does not matter indeed :yes:
    but other people. Me for instance, battle this latancy/cpu trade off every day... I visit my asio panel a lot more then the toilet on a daily basis:rofl:

most dedicated ASIO driver ( I mean the one supplied by the manufacturer) do allow other programs to sound,
    and on a side note, me for instance need low latency not only for recording but also for adequate metering

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015