How to avoid Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by thantrax, Jul 15, 2015.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

How to avoid Windows 10

Just got an interesting question from reader CT:

I’ve been hitting Windows 10, hard, ever since the first beta arrived in January. Writing the
    new “Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies” has forced me to look into every nook and cranny. It’s
    hard to fill 1,000 pages without having a few things rub off.

The main thing that rubbed off? Most people will arguably benefit from going to Windows 10,
    probably with some key privacy setting changes, but it’d be a very good idea to wait a few
    months to see what falls off in the process. We’ll also hear many more details about how
    Windows 10 is going to work. Unless you’re running Windows XP (if so, Win10 may or may not
    run on your box), I see no advantage at all to moving to Windows 10 this month or next month
    — and plenty of reasons to hold back.

My answer to CT is simple: If you want to stick with Win 7 (or Win 8.1 or Vista), don’t do
    anything. Microsoft will dangle lots of carrots. They may swing some dire sticks. They’ll
    certainly spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to convince you to switch to Windows
    10. But you don’t have to do it. You shouldn’t, at least in the near term. And the best way
    to keep from getting Win10 is to NOT click on anything that says “Install Windows 10.”

Unless you explicitly give your permission, Microsoft will not change the OS on your machine.

Source
    AskWoody.com

P.S.
    Microsoft Windows 10 Launch on July 29

3. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Why 7? Why not 98 or even 95?

DX12? Bag of streaming features? Nice new interface with borderless windows? DX12? New browser? DX12? True working ecosystem between devices? And maybe DX12?

And yes, you can just do not "reserve" your free upgrade.

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Why? Maybe because AutoUpdate cannot be disabled... (My house... err My PC, my rules!)

[​IMG]

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

turn windows update of just like have awindows 7 with damaged windows update service :rofl:

6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I don't see WHY ppl wonder if they should update or not.
    Of course NOT !!!

I'm a computer for 20 years. And i NEVER seen an OS working right from start, being Linux, Win, MacOS...or BeOS :rofl:

As a general rule : always wait at least 3 months to switch, even may be 6 months for Windows :bleh:

7. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

If it's Windows, you'd better wait for at least one major update or service pack.

8. Willum

Willum Rock Star

No such thing anymore, with win 10 its rolling updates, so no major updates or service packs ever again.

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

If Win7 is working fine for You and does what You expect (need), than leave it as is... Don`t fix it if it ain`t broken!

Windows 10 was not made to meet any of the specific needs that we (audio users) have. So, for the moment, I don`t see any reason to upgrade.

I would wait at least a Year to see what the "hackers" says about it... is it safe, what are the up and down sides, and in general to hear some unbiased reviews of people that have devoted Years of their lives to hack and check Softwares, OSes, Security flaws, and things that I don`t understand.

IMHO it would be very irrational to jump at the first cookie they throw to us...

In hackers we trust :wink:

10. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I'm locking all my doors and windows, Microsoft are not going to make me download Win 10 :bleh:

you may have noticed in your tray next to clock on bottom right hand side, a little windows 10 logo, and when clicking it says "Get Windows 10" and a new window pops up

you can remove this as it was a sneaky little update a month or two ago by MS
    Code:
    http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/
    update ref no KB3035583

11. Syntey

Syntey Noisemaker

I had fresh release W7 without updates for about year with no problems :). I have booked W10, but I'll wait a while until someone says it's stable.

12. m2314

m2314 Member

Just installed fresh 7 less than a month ago, no way i upgrading to 10 that quickly... I will upgrade on my laptop because i only use it for games, trips and schoolwork

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

This is untrue. I still have the dvd of Win7 RC1 wich Works like a charm.

14. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

+1 For the hacker opinion, totally agree.

15. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

16. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Here we go again! "Upgrade or not to upgrade"? The burning question... I agree with most of the comments suggesting that folks wait at least a few months 'before' taking the plunge. One of the big questions (at least for me) is whether Win10 will play nice with your current software (especially the audio and video variety). I'll assume the Windows users who frequent this forum use a DAW or three. The last thing anybody wants or needs is to have their workflow curtailed, stymied or disrupted in any way resulting from some sort of code incapability with Win10.

I have six computers (including one lonely Mac) in my home, running Windows 7, 8, and 10 (Microsoft's "Insiders" beta version). On most of 'em, I'm running a dual-boot configuration (2 separate hard drives on all). I know (based on over 30 years dealing with Windows) that Win10 will always remain "a-work-in-progress" for the life of the OS. The new feature, "Rolling Updates", will be rolling and rolling and rolling into the guts your 'pristine' system for years to come; you can bank on that. So, the new question is, does it really matter whether or not Win10 will be up to the task? My recommendation for anyone thinking about taking the plunge, is to dual-boot that baby. (Two hard drives is definitely recommended). That way, you can check and verify Win10's competency, as it relates to all things audio and video (hardware and software alike).

Final thoughts... PC users (based upon my experience) have always been an adventurous lot. We like to tinker and fiddle with our computers. Many of us like to custom-build and (in some cases) custom-design our rigs. God only knows, I've been to the mat with every version of Windows (anyone remember 1.0)? So, fear of a Windows OS "upgrade" is not an alien concept to me. Just prepare yourself for the usual heartaches, and lots of cussin' and fussin'.

17. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Microsoft aren't the only peple who force updates on people. Just today I downloaded a KONTAKT library that I couldn't use because it required KONTAKT v5.5, that to me is more anoying when I didn't really want to update KONTAKT as it's working just fine. I'll have to say that I am untrusting of people who recommend not updating Windows because these are probably the same people who recommend that we should keep our software updated to the latest versions. Of course a Windows update is a must; Microsoft have surely ironed out a few more bugs and must have improved the OS in some ways.

18. Ceja

Ceja Ultrasonic

This acutally a good article with lots of facts and real experiences. Thanks for sharing that.

19. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Don't fix what ain't broke!!! :excl: :excl: :excl: !!!
    Change your OS and change everything else is the rule for most. Quite a shame or sham depending on how you perceive it. :sad:

20. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

W10 is free for the first year after launch for consumers. It removes calculator and WMC, which I use to record TV. W8 is the last W to have it

For business, there are some new management/networking/business features etc, and you can only get W10 if you pay, hence the carrots for business users especially.

Yes it can https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=windows+10+update+off

W8 brings the biggest security overhaul/hardening to date. And 10-15% better battery life on laptops due to a tickless kernel. Desktop users will also benefit from improved efficiency. W10 should keep all this.

As spidey's linked article says, there may be features to specifically benefit audio users - the default W10 audio driver/framework has much lower latency than the W7 one, apparently. And there were benchmarks/testing with Sonar in W8 being better overall than W7.

There is a slight lack of comparisons with W8, so any improvements over W8 will need to be reevaluated.

21. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

@junh1024:

I don`t need security on my dedicated music PC... my security is to use an old linux laptop to go on the net.

In fact, I disabled all the security and unneeded sh*t I could from my Win7 and it runs great.
    I doubt it can run any faster.

I use ASIO drivers (as 90% of audio oriented users do), so the thing about W10 audio does not mean nothing to me.

I am happy with my Win7 and, until I see that audio software developers stop supporting it, I will stick to it.

and btw. there is not a remotest chance that I will allow (knowingly) my PC to be permanently connected to Microsoft... absolutely no chance! *no*