How to automate EzDrummer with Studio One?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by Niruvana, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I routed EzDrummer in Studio One and now I have 7 individual drum channels. I wanted to fade in at the beginning, so put them in a VCA track and made automation. So far so good.
    The thing is that I can't control the volume of drum channels at once. So I put them in a Bus track. Problem began. Somehow, the automation doesn't work. I tried to remove the VCA track or Buc track, but not of them worked. Plus another weird issue happened. The volume of the drum tracks became very low. It won't come back. Fortunately, I didn't save it.
    Is there any way to make it?

Studio One issue.JPG

3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Far from being an expert on mixing.. but here are my thoughts:

for overall volume (automation) of all the drum tracks control, you can use either VCA or Bus. The difference:

- VCA will move your drum group faders, as you adjust it and keep the relation between them proportional. Also the meters will show the difference (as if you were dragging individual faders)
    - Bus will NOT move the faders. You will see all of them (and respective metering) as you (have) set them.

You can automate both. First, I would delete all VCA/Bus ch. you made and reset the faders. Then be sure to highlight all the drum channels, right click and select Add VCA (or Bus) for Selected Channels (NOT Add VCA/Bus Channel).

Then go under your tracks and add an Automation Track. Go to None>Add/Remove>Console>"VCA/Bus name" choose Volume and <<Add. You should see the new automation lane and be able to draw the fades.

There is no need to have VCA and Bus routing. In fact, usually people will just use the Bus channel because it allows you to Insert/Send FX, parallel compress and so on. In fact, unless you have a specific need, don't use both on same channels..

I can't really know what happened, but my guess would be you added a VCA channel, and maybe pushed down the faders.. then added the Bus ch. and there you have a mess. Maybe that's why you're getting low volume.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

No matter if you guessed right or not, that's a very nice and thoughtful advice. Kudos :)

5. You can use fader groups.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I really appreciate it, but the automation for EZdrummer still doesn't work. I followed your instruction. Removed all bus & vca channels, and created new bus channel for Ezdrummer, and then made automation. The volume bar of the bus channel goes down, but the actual volume doesn't.
    Probably, midi file or vst doesn't work with automation? Audio files were ok though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Great tip! I completely forgot using Alt key. Thanks!

8. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Best Answer
    Tnx! I hesitate to give this kind of advice ;) ..my DAWs knowledge and mixing skills are more on a need-to-know basis :D

But @Nothingness, let me check this one this one in practice (this screencap shows what I wanted to say):

I understand you want to achieve something like this. If that's true there's probably something on your side.. Check the mixer on EZdrummer (you have to set that one up before "multitracking" and not changing the mix "preset" after..). I changed the mics manually for demo purpose, but you can choose Multichannel that will do it for you.

It should work, there is no audio file in my vid. Did you try this on a fresh project? Just a suggestion :wink:

9. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Thanks, Matt777 again. I followed your instruction exactly and found this one happens.

ezdrummer automation.JPG

As you can see, all drum sets belong to DrumBus, but the DrumBus contains nothing. It contains at first and somehow it loses its sources. Probably, a bug. Tried with S1 3.5 and it works fine. Does S1 4 has an issue like this and hasn't been solved yet? Using S1 4.1.2.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • List
  10. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

You are right. It should show the routed sources. If you managed to make it work in any other version, you are doing it right.. It could be a bug (a big one tho, as this is an essential function). I can confirm it works in 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 (<-the one I'm using). Time to update..! ;)

• List
  11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

If you're so modest I reply with this: I also hesitate to give this kind of compliments.
    Valid knowledge is valid knowledge.
    In my "real-life" day-to-day perhaps I'd say: "shut up and take the damn deserved credit" :wink:

Not at job, though... well, when those crazy deadlines sprints sometimes... but what happens at those sleepless crazy deadline sprints is kind of "what happens in las vegas stay in las vegas"-like
    :rofl:

12. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I updated to 4.1.4 and it had a critical audio issue. Whenever I switch the audio device, it was frozen. So, I rolled back to 4.1.2.

Btw, I just found everything is fine on my another laptop. It's weird. I guess there must be something wrong with my main laptop, but I have no idea. Argggggggggg.

= Update =
    I just found the Audio option caused the issue. I am using Beringer audio interface and installed their drive. When I use the Beringer's driver, it automatically sets the device block size as 256. I can see the sources are disappeared when I change it. They have come back when I switch it with ASIO driver. The problem solved! Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Sorry if this was already commented, but I think S1 has some issues if you have Windows 10 1804 or later.

14. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

That's what I noticed. Thanks for letting me know.