How to Auto Everything in FL Studio 12

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Desantïs, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

As we all know Fruity Loops is a little buggy.. In Ableton you can just use the feature to setup a macro for any button or parameter easily.. In Fruity Loops there is create automation for last tweaked feature but this does not work most of the time. How do I create automations for all types of knobs and parameters when using things like spire or massive, which are not fl native plugins.. Has anyone found a good workaround?

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i don't think that it's 'buggy', it just does it in a different fashion to most other daws. it isn't my fav. way either but this works for me... also, if you want to assign any parameters individually or whatever, right-click on the instrument or fx editor window and go to "Browse Parameters", all available parameters will be show in the browser window. as for the last tweaked "issue", it's not that it doesn't work, it's simply that some instruments to not have certain functions open to being automated in FL. as i say it takes a little getting used to... like anything really : )
    also check youtube , there are some handy tips and tutorials on there that explain way better than i can..
    hth

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

4. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

hey thanks.. I remember digging into it this way but thought there would be a diff way.. Guess not!

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

for the native plug ins you can right click on a knob and select create automation clip, for the rest of the plugins you can press record and tweak the parameters you want to automate and get a pattern where you can tweak the automation you just recorded (an easy way of getting in the controls you want to automate and not having to go through a whole list of parameters as in most daws)

6. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

Thanks statik that sounds interesting.. So I essentially just record myself tweaking all the knobs then hit stop record and there's some sort of recorded automation created?

7. statik

statik Audiosexual

yup, it will record in the selected pattern, open the piano roll and select the recorded knob in the pull down menu next to the title bar (FE piano roll - midi out #2 - velocity). the data will also be copied along if you copy/paste a pattern

8. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

If you do that it is actually recorded as an event which is a little bit different from an automation, basically any change in midi value from 1-127 acts a a point so you will see an event that looks like a lot of rectangles, and you can convert this into an automation, although it will end up jagged. Im suprised FL hasnt added in a smoother to get the average of all points in an event and convert them into an automation.

I prefer just using the browse parameters tab which comes up from the arrow in the vst wrapper, then right clicking on whatever parameter it was that i want automated in the list and automating that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Yeah sorry man its a little odd what your saying ...simply coz its not buggy in that respect at all......
    i do however understand that being fl studio certain things are done differently than other major daws...
    In terms of automation in fl 11 " for real time editing of knob tweaks etc via your mouse turn on the dual control function in the main setup screens" Which will allow you to do a multitude of things for example after youve hit "record/Everything" and adjusted whatever knobs in realtime" use the right click function on the top of the pattern screen itself and when you do another little section in your browser will open up displaying all the patterns containg contoller information which you just navigate to and then "draw in " your adfjustments"

However the dual function control whilst implemented in 12 doesnt seem to have a quick select for any "event data"..
    Which is what you want to be looking for if your using v12...
    Meaning regardless of the way in which you input/record youre knob movementsd you just goto "edit events" and you can draw in your adjustments there etc etc..
    But also i tend to just navigate to "last tweaked then create automation" and then draw whatever i want it to do..
    Id suggest initially doing it like that and editing it the way i first mentioned if on v11 or the other way via "edit events" on v12.......
    Once you get the hang of it i can promise you that you wont be fumbling round the screen as i used too!!
    Oh and bear in mind that if when your making an adjustment, you dont see any midi activity in the indicator at top left of the screen,it means its for some reason whichever vst youre using isnt transmitting or fl isnt reading the incoming data ,which is a different problem and one i havnt resolved yet ,not that ive tried tho....anyway hope you sort it out mann

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Apologies i just read your on fl 12 ....
    Its actually simpified on this vertion.......Its just a shame i cant find the shortcut which was in v 11....So you must goto "edit events" after youve recorded them in any way whatsoever/realtime or step sequenced style/

11. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

1. Select the Multi-link controllers switch on the Snap Panel.
    2. Tweak the software-user interface controls you want to link with your mouse (a tweak is any small movement of the control).
    3. Right-click the Multi-link controllers switch on the Snap Panel and select 'Override generic links'.
    4. The 'Generic Link' window will open.
    5. Tweak the hardware - knobs/sliders/jogs you want to link to those software targets. The links will be made in the same order the software targets were tweaked. The process will auto-close once the number of hardware controls tweaked equals the number of software targets.
    and then just hit record and do it the old fashion way

Would like to add that fabfilter plugins also work like native plugins just rightclick a button!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. mono

mono Audiosexual

what i do for automation is just about the same but could be faster
    Select the Multi-link controllers switch on the Snap Panel.
    move a slider or noob on the plugin you want to set up
    then right click on the multi link controller and chouse creat automation clip from the drop down list :wink:

you can set a maker on the top bar ie loop point, so the automation clip is set that lent in the play-list
    but you can resize it your self as well with the mouse,

ps if its midi input you want to set up on the plugin ,turn on multi link controller
    move a slider or noob on the plugin then move what ever midi controller you want to use,

13. Sycø

Sycø Noisemaker

Actually, I recently did a Youtube Tutorial on it, hope it will help you : )
    P.S. Enable the captions for English explanation.