How to assign a VSTi to a MIDI track NOT an Instrument Track Cubase 8?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by belinea2010, Oct 29, 2019.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

Cuabase Artist 8
    Windows 10

embarrassing rookie question...

How do I assign a VSTi to a MIDI track NOT an Instrument Track Cubase 8?

As an example, lets say I import a MIDI file that has say 5 tracks and I want to assign a VSTi (instrument) to each one. So far (and I have googled it) from what I can see is I have to load my chosen VSTi and when prompted allow it to create a Instrument Track, then drag the MIDI track I want to assign to it on to the instrument track.

That is all well and good but if you have a MIDI file with 10 or 15 tracks it is a laborious process to have to do the above 15 times. Also what happens if you have Kontakt open with 4 or 5 library's loaded and each library will be triggered by different MIDI tracks?

In my previous version of Cubase 5 you had the option to assign instruments directly to each MIDI track so can you not do this in Cubase 8?

3. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

You can import the MIDI into separate channels first and of course take your time to assign one instrument to each one.

4. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

Hi Rudolph

Well yes thats a given but as I said in my post above how do you assign a VSTi to a MIDI track, when I click on the MIDI track I can not see an option to select a VSTi for it?

5. The Observer

The Observer Guest

1. Create a MIDI track
    2. Press F11, select the VSTi instrument of your choice.
    3. When it asks to create a track, click cancel.
    4. Click the MIDI track you created. There is a drop-down list on the left, select the VSTi you just loaded.

By the sound of it you want to do an 'import' It will ask if you want you create a new file - up to you.

Same principle. The 15x tracks you are asking for only work with VSTi's like KONTAKT where you have 15x instruments in it or a VSTi with 15x sounds preloaded with separate MIDI channels assigned for each instrument.
    Otherwise, you will have to do it it one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2019