How to add expression to MIDIs

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by davinci, Dec 27, 2017.

1. davinci

davinci Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new in the forum so please don't bite me much. :)

While I can read scores, my instrument is cello. My main ability lies in my harmonic ear. Some years ago I was using Reason to compose MIDIs. I wasn't using orchestral libraries though.

Now I have discovered Ableton Live and I'm quite excited about the amount of orchestral libraries around. I have loaded some of my old MIDIs with the Sonuscore "The Orchestra" library and, while the difference in sound is dramatic I find that it still lacks in "expression".

So I wonder what's the way to work with MIDIs. As I'm not a piano player, I haven't got a MIDI keyboard, hence I use the mouse to enter the MIDI notes. A little painful, I know, but it works for me. :)

I know that I can change "velocity" (volume) in Ableton Live but I wonder how could I change other parameters in the MIDI so that I can play with "legatos" and stuff.

Thanks for your help! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Welcome to the forums!

CC1 (or Continuous controller) usually controls dynamics, that's probably the most essential controller you'll need to master.
    Note velocity is usually translated to attack time, lower values will trigger slower volume buildup, while higher values trigger accent samples.
    It's best to enter midi data while recording, as that'll translate to more human performance, considering the presence of timing errors.
    Legato transition sample is usually triggered when two notes are played close to each other. Some libraries will let you change this detection time (usually it's 10ms)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

I haven't personally experienced Sonuscore "The Orchestra" library but in a lot of orchestral libraries key switching is used to change style of playing. For example C1 -adagio, C#1 legato, etc. Hope this enables you to accomplish what you wish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

I don't know if Ableton messed up this one too, but in GM CC1 is modulation (usually controlled by the modwheel). Expression is CC11.

6. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

As CHIPPY33 has stated ^^^ For each KONTAKT library you try, you must study the library's switching keys, located in the lower octaves. Break open the library's manual and have a good read, or just load up the library and experiment. The midi CC's and the KONTAKT switches are different beasts, so study the underlying MIDI CC assignments too. :)

7. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

List of MIDI Control Change Messages – Continuous Controllers:

http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list