How to achieve this vocal effect? (Please don't hate on me) haha

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ThugLife, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Happy New Year everyone :)

Well First let me say, i'm not the biggest Fan of Ryan leslie and i dont wanna Talk about how ridiculous this Video is Made up when you watch it nowadays, buT I just stumbled over it again a few weeks ago and back then i asked myself a question on the vocals. In the hook on the I, the gets, the money and so on, there's this effect on the backing vocal Track. I thought I knew how to Do it.

I thought its a mix of recording the backings with a growl and wavestune tuned 12 semitones down on a layer, but I cant really get to achieve this Sound.

can you tell me how to reproduce that?

I think this really makes it stand out.

I Hope you get what I mean. I would describe it as warm, bassy and a little Bit of growling but yeah haha

Thanks in advance

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Shitty (granular) pitch shifter.

Just try singing the vocal a few semitones higher (pitch shift on the master).Then turn off master pitch. Now put pitch shifter and formant on the vocal instead (pitch it down equally as you pitched the master up). Start with 4 semi. Add formant to taste.

If you are Win PC, this will do:
    https://www.g200kg.com/jp/software/rovee.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Aaah thank you,

I didn't think this way but makes Sense. Just to make sure I got you right. We still Talk about a backing vocal, lead vocal stays untreated, i'm tryna record it a few notes up to pitch it down using the pitch shifter somewhere around where it used to be if I had not recorded it a few notes up?
    I'll try this one as soon as I can, and let you know if it did the Trick for me.

Thanks Once again :)

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Correct. Pitch it up (master, for example 4 semi up), record backing vocal, turn off master pitch, put pitch shifter on vocals (-4 semi) and play with formant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch and explain.

Now I understand :)