How the Hell are Y'all Reading music ePub files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DjembeMan, Apr 24, 2024.

1. DjembeMan

DjembeMan Newbie

Seriously, I couldn't find one Windows program that can simply display sheet music properly.

Are you all using ipads? Or extracting the png files and converting to pdf? I've had some success renaming the epub to a dot zip file and extracting the raw image files.

Even Calibre stretches images and doesn't preserve aspect ratio by default. I was able to find a CSS fix for that and it only works some of the time.

If there is no consistent way to read epub files with sheet music, why is that the dominant format on this site? Do they look good on ipad/kindle/whatever else you use?

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I'm using SumatraPDF on Windows and as far as I can tell, it's displaying ePubs as intended. The blurriness here is due to the absolutely tiny dimensions of the bitmap images embedded into the books and no fault of the software.

upload_2024-4-24_14-36-48.png

upload_2024-4-24_14-38-39.png

4. odod

odod Rock Star

looks sharp and good on Book (OSX) and iPad too .. i bought some music books (epub), they look good on MAC btw.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Sumatra PDF is very good and there is also EPUBReader addon for Firefox that does the job well, maybe there is a similar addon for other browsers? Calibre is a popular app for reading books that you can try if you like. Nice that there is a portable version for Windows so you can try it without having to install it. :wink:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. markthedrummer

markthedrummer Newbie

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I use Okular for my document viewing, simple and multiplatform. Or more likely I'll read them on a tablet, but that wasn't asked.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List