How The Fuck Do I ...? (Electri6ity Stuff)

Discussion in 'samples' started by Iggy, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I have been working with this goddamn Kontakt library for years, and while I've discovered a few neat things, there is a metric shit-ton of stuff I cannot figure out in regards to Electri6ity. As some of you know, it's an unnecessarily complicated library, and in order to deep-dive into its capabilities, you almost have to be a goddamn guitarist. Fair enough. I've tried a few far-less-complicated libraries and VIs -- I own all the Shreddage stuff, Orange Tree Samples, Prominy's stuff is even more complicated, MusicLab's VIs, which almost fit the bill and AmpleSound's stuff, which does not fit the bill -- but Electri6ity, assuming I can ever get it working, can do everything I need. I just can't get it working. So I'm hoping one or more of you might be able to drop some sage wisdom here.

My main issue is palm mutes. I understand the basic principles in regards to this instrument: in POLY mode (and probably in SOLO mode), half-mutes are triggered on sustain notes at a velocity of 80 or lower, then full mutes, and, at the bottom, ghost notes and dead mutes. There are also keyswitches in the upper area, C6 or so, that trigger/repeat up-down strokes for dead mutes, full mutes, half mutes and open notes. So far, still uncomplicated. I can trigger mutes all day long.

What I can't seem to do is make them sound right. In particular, I can't get the sound of the pick actually digging in, ala Shreddage. While Shreddage sounds great, the instruments only have that one articulation, which severely limits their usability. On the other hand, Electri6ity can do anything, but not matter what I do, the mute sound is almost ruler flat after it passes into an amp sim, no pick sound at all. There is actually a mute sound selector in the "Tone" settings ("Mellow" and "Bright"), but changing it doesn't affect the sound. Nor does changing the mute velocity/volume, turning on the pre-amp or virtually any other control in the "Settings" tab. It always sounds to me like the mutes are hitting the amp too hard, making them sound flat, but playing at lower velocities doesn't affect the sound. I even messed with the "Pick Wait" control RE: Electri6ity's Realism Guide. I have tried everything ... at least everything that I can think of.

My other, more minor issue regards noise ... where the fuck is the noise? I've jacked up the volume on releases and general fretting and picking noises and can still barely hear anything. The most I can hear is a little release noise, unless I place a compressor plug between Kontakt and Ampltube, which is something I shouldn't have to do (and comes with its own set of issues).

Anyway, if anyone has some advice, I would be eternally grateful!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List