How Superwave Changed Their Default Sound (2004 vs. 2015)

Discussion in 'Software' started by jd87, Oct 14, 2023.

1. jd87

jd87 Member

First of all I have to say a massive thank you to everyone that sent me the January 2004 version. I honestly never thought I would ever see the original installer again since I couldn't find it! But thank God you guys helped me out. This honestly speaks volumes to the amazing community here. So I only feel it right to explain why I think the 2004 version of the Superwave Professional synth is superior to the 2.8 (2015) version or even later versions. The same could be said about the 2004 version of the Superwave Trance Pro vst. Here is a simple audio demo that shows how they changed the default sound somewhere along the way. I like the 2004 version's sound way more. Do you? :)

2004 vs. 2015 version using ''Assault on precinct 13'' preset as a simple example. There are even a few presets missing in the 2015 version that the 2004 version has. That said, the main problem is that the sound engine changed and definitely not for the better. Of course other software synths later versions have this same issue.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Right, even if you compensate for the level difference the older version has more punch.
    Sadly, there are more devs who are doing this. Analog Obsession, for instance. Sometimes the older versions sound better, sometimes the newer. Another one would be Audiothing. I really like Valves Exciter, but its successor Valves doesn't meet my needs.

4. jd87

jd87 Member

In a lot of ways this ‎August ‎4, ‎2005 demo is superior to the 2006 vocal version for example in the 2006 version the kick line beat was changed and not as quite as thumpy sounding. The source of this demo track is only a 128kb mp3 because I never saved any project files until September 2005. At least this version exists. I used the mp3 to make a mastered version. This demo was originally posted on the blissco dance demo forum which no longer exists.

for some reason this preveiw is messed up so just download it.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Lots of these requests often occur for "old projects" which people need the "magic secret version" of some plugin. A good example is people chasing down iZotope Ozone 4 or 5 because they have some supposed "magic file" from Jaycen Joshua they need to use. Or even the PC version of Camel Audio Alchemy . To even add urgency to it, they will often let everyone know it's for a "client" !!!

Collectively we can all waste lots of time chasing down 20 year old synth patches. But you could very easily replicate this in a modern synth like Diva or one of the Synapse synths if you had the desire to. You could even use the new Synplant2's Genome feature and just drag a wave file of this patch to it. Chop it up into some wavetables and load them in Vital, Serum, or the other many options. Nevermind the fact you could grab the dsp56300 Virus emulator, and hundreds of these early 2000 trance style patches would be immediately available via available Virus TI soundsets which can be directly imported to the emulator. You can use 32Lives to resurrect a 32bit copy of Sylenth1 even.

This is a good example of diminishing returns. By the time you get the two "different" sounds into a current DAW and process them with effects, you will be the only one convinced there is anything more than a negligible difference.