How stable is a Hackintosh ?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by AshP87, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Okay. Quick tl;dr:

1. Do your research, then get hardware that just works and requires no bullshit configuration on your side
    2. Don't force Hackintosh on a laptop, there always be something that doesn't work, you'll need to buy a new WiFi card because the stock one won't work, you'll need to disable dedicated graphics... Hackintosh on a laptop is a no-go, pretty much
    3. Did I mention do your research? Really, if you get the correct parts it gets WAY easier to build
    4. Since a few years we're using software called Clover. With old Chameleon we used to replace some files (just like a "crack") - this meant once an update is installed, the file gets overwritten. With Clover you can edit settings to patch some files without really touching the originals - then it takes care of patching the file no matter what. This means updating can be as easy as App Store > Software Updates > Install. But make sure you're not patching manually when you're using Clover, just to get a piece of hardware to work - so no adding graphics drivers, because they'll get deleted with an update - you need to add those into your config. Read up on how to patch in Clover before screwing up

2. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

I had a nicely working setup but then I upgraded my GTX970 o GTX1080 and still no driver for it,sucks. So I have not used it since then, (it works with basic video but that is slow as hell)

3. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I wonder why Apple just doesn't make their DAW compatible with windows. Seems kind of asinine from a business standpoint. It's freakin software.

4. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

Because Mac is the perfect dongle for Logic.

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Should've done your research before upgrading. 10xx is using a new architecture, which still isn't supported. That's why you need to be careful when picking parts.

6. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Yeah, but the hackintosh is not my main thing :) The purpose of GTX1080 was for gaming in Windows 10, Hackintosh is just a bonus, haha.