how popular is drum and bass music in 2016?

Discussion in 'Music' started by reybeatz, Feb 22, 2016.

1. reybeatz

reybeatz Newbie

I recently got into dnb, i love the older stuff like from the late 90's -early 2000s

some of the new stuff is also pretty nice.

but i never see anyone listening to it in public
    i do live in the USA so its probably that

but how big is it world wide and how much do dnb djs usually make per show

thanks

3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

it's pretty big tbh, went even more popular after EDM hit the roof and dubstep became a trend.

Arists like Noisia and all them other ones which I forget really brought the scene to popularity...

tbh there are some dnb artists these days who have a mad production ability. They know how to get a really tight but clean and transparent sound going that takes it to the next level. One artist I know that does this well is Disprove:

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It depends on the location. In Australia, dnb has always been strong as it has been in New Zealand, USA - no idea, until that EDM crap electronic music always relegated to a niche existence there, UK - big, Netherlands and Belgium - also big, Germany - niche existence, Brazil and Colombia - big.
    But even within one country you usually have a strong regional variance.

5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

6. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Its pretty big, but like all scenes, went majorly mainstream, so the events are mostly "official" nowadays so to speak. Theres many different sub genres of DNB as well, with a lot of subtleties in production. The older stuff errs on the side of darker dnb. Look at some of the big labels and see if you like what they are putting out. Hospital/Ram/Critical/Metalheadz/Bad Taste/Eatbrain/Methlab/Samurai/Viper/Caliber/Vision/Invisible and a bunch of other ones ive missed :P

7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

dnb, like techno, has so many different texture variations and every label has and wants a different texture, fidelity and sound. Sometimes hard to keep up with all the subgenres, styles and textures...

but yeah, dnb around the world different artists were doing different types of sounds and evolved in very intersting ways... some went neurofunk with it, others kept it jungle, some went pure darkness, some went into liquid and more chill, it branched out into many themes you kind of get lost a little with your place in it.

It was basically a faster form of breakbeat back in the day. From what I could listen to at least, it was like they both used amen break, but dnb just made it faster and less rhythm and more basszzz.

8. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Don't understand why people worry about genre labels. Make something. Do not worry if it fits a "style " or not. That sort of thinking is an impediment to creativity of the artist. People who don't create music will call it what they want anyway. The audience I'm trying to address wouldn't use a label to decide if they are going to listen to something or not. If you hear it, put it in there without worrying if it fits in the style. If you come up with something that people can not pigeonhole into group with other stuff, maybe, just maybe, you have actually come up with something original and different, that may stand out from everything else.
    -peace :drummer:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

it's not a worry, but more of a statement of a fact.

Lables look for certain sounds and it gets pretty ridiculous because there are specific texture and styles they want and they need their releases to be consistent etc...

Personally dont care for appeasing a label, but sometimes its gotta be done... if my friend asked me to produce a track for his techno label cuz they want to make a few releases before a planned event, I'm not going to give him hard techno cuz its not what they do, I'll make him something swingy and percussive and more tribal... and its a fun excercise anyway...

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

ahh, that may be a good difference between being a producer and being an artist,------and also may be why when working, Allen the artist, Allen the engineer, and Allen the producer argue with themselves and talk among themselves when recording. Outloud. Makes for interesting out-takes.:rofl:

11. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I've figured a nice philosophy for myself to combine both engineering and art to amplify each other, it helps me more than the conflict, but that's the process of the artist in general, some conflict will occur. In the end it's a great ride...

12. sparkles

sparkles Guest

yeah everything quite right as everyone share on this post ,i would like to share and my opinion or experience if you like. I 'm on DnB since 2008,listening all the time ,every time seems like i hear something big, something special and new ,everything, form sounds (synths,vocals,drums,bass etc) to super mastering,really this is a great kind of music via technology and the producers they know what they re doing correctly,respect ! Time to time i was interesting to make my own Dnb track to feet the amount of quality in to the bone, i tried for several years watching ,practicing with no luck,recently i did my first DnB track not as i expect it but fits the general of this kind of sound,and thats it! i stopped listening any more as i did in the past,i felt that i completed my journey in to this path.Listening DnB is magic experience in to the grazing land of music and will stand there as long as this world exist. Now i m in to more specific music ways to make my own track with my own style,no matter of genre and not matter if it will be popular or not,the experience doing it is what pays me back
    " i don't use translator and for sure my en language can't reach the native yours,so, apologies for grammar mistakes and places with no meaning"
    :wink: