How or where2 obtain the correct Notes or MIDI-files from Techno interprets?

Discussion in 'Education' started by amazeMeAgain, Sep 10, 2024.

?

Is there already an Audio-2-Midi-Technology, that returns something useful?

This poll will close on Oct 8, 2024 at 3:38 AM.
  1. Yeah there's the human ear.

81.8%
  2. No, they're all crap.

9.1%
  3. Yes there are such tools, but they cost?! I'll post you the name in the Forum/Chat...

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

[Techno/Electronic]

Greetings audiophiles!

I recently found out when I make music for the first 4 tracks everything is nice, however around 5th or 6th track,... I add a melody or a new synth + melody that transforms the track to a new track/new feel/different expectation or mindset - actually a completely different kind of music,...

Now I'm wondering where, to actually obtain the real track-notes of the artists that I like the most, since the Audio->Midi Conversion seems to fail in the vast majority of cases,.. and I think, I need to study a bit more what they do.

Some of my fav artists :
    - UMEK
    - Nathan Fake
    - Enrico Sangiuliano
    - Schlepp Geist,
    - Gregor Thresher,
    - Gabriel Ananda,
    - Dominik Eulberg,
    - Wesley Matsel,
    - Avus,
    - Victor Ruiz,
    - Rodriguez Jr.,
    - Bodzin <- of him I know there are 1 or 2 tutorials, with complete notes from him
    , which replicate his exact notes]
    - Popof

Where to obtain midi-notes from thes artists?

Thank you for your answers!

Max

-

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024

Attached Files:

• wtf.gif
      wtf.gif
      File size:
      20.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

:deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm:

4. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

ableton does ok, it gets better results if you use a de-reverb plugin first
    ripx is pretty good as well and operates on individual parts so the results are a little more reliable

5. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

Strictly speaking, you don't need MIDI or scores. Just train your ears and imagination. Listen again and again, analyze drums, bass, melodies, harmonies etc. Yes, it's challenging but it is worth trying in the long run.

"Crutches"... If you need them (it is understandable), try SpectralLayers. Split a composition into layers and analyze spectrograms of every part. It is not MIDI but do you really need MIDI for your goals? Anyway you can try to extract MIDI from every layer.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic's audio to midi is the same thing. If the notes have flow in the playing, or reverb tails, you will end up with many more small sections of midi notes than you probably want. This will sound odd, but you can sometimes get interesting results by putting an arpeggiator in front of the plugin synths you use for playback, and set it at a very high arp rate like 1/32 or 1/64.

Melodyne has polyphonic note detection, and may give better results. The scattered fragments of midi data you can end up with is often bad enough to make it useless, unless you manually redraw the entire pattern into full-length notes.

7. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

I'd also like to be able to create an algorithmic analysis

8. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

this does make a lot of sense, to be fair
    although there are often other effects too besides reverb,
    or when the you use LFOs on the OSC-pitch generally, this can also add significant pitch-recolorizations - while the overall perceived
    'average note might be relevant?

9. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

<----Train your ear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

artificially raising the resolution by using arps and using an average of these notes sounds like a plan!

11. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I don't know any of your fav artists, but the principles to transcribe music remains the same, even if techno is easier than other genres:

1) use as described above tech gizmos to find midi notes;
    2) use slow downers like deCoda or Song Master or Amazing Slow Downer and use your ears;
    3) both.

I transcribed several songs in every detail for some friend of mine (example: Robert Miles - Children), who asked me not only the main lines but also every tiny arpeggio and all things that make up a whole song.

But for point 2 helps a lot at least basics of music harmony theory.

12. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

One tip is that the lower in pitch a note is the harder it is to hear and it helps to raise the pitch by an octave or two, which makes it much clearer.

13. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

NeuralNote does it somewhat well. I find it better than ableton's stock

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I almost asked about this same thing, recently. I have a 16 bar phrase of audio chopped up into midi this way, track is at 130 bpm. Logic rendered it into 2,710 tiny fragments of Midi. It detects all different velocity values on them. I just workflowed/stumbled upon the arpeggiator in Logic at 1/64, 1/128; and now it plays like a 1/8 note pluck, in the right key. If bounced now as audio, and converted back to midi; I would have the correct root notes of the progression; down to some manageable number of Midi Note On messages. Not 2710 of them, because that is otherwise worthless to me.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  15. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Right, in deCoda there is a switch that sets +1 octave, and in conjuction with its graphic filter allows to discover notes that if embedded into interval or chords are difficult to get.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

The best way is to take an older track of your favorite artist and rename as yours, that way you can't hear any difference from your track and the original one and you don't even have to care about midi notes, boring mixing stuff and so on, just take the glory and spam your social profile!

That's so today! Tiktok, money $$$ "Gen S"
    (S for shit)

[I'm sure is not the case of the OP, forgive the rant]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. ULX

ULX Guest

What do you want to do with them?

18. ULX

ULX Guest

Do you mean to put your ear on the train track or turn your ear into a train or let the train enter your ear?:unsure:

19. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

I'd like to programmatically/algorithmically look for archetypes in all of the tracks that I like and get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't, and find generic boundaries - which might form something like a pattern or algorithm on their own

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

there are quite a few uses for this that are not just ripping stuff off. You can supplement tracks you are mixing from audio stems. Some people "fill spectral holes", where someone else may decide to just add another layered instrument playing the same notes as a better quality starting audio file. It can work nicely for bass notes. It can be used for replacing samples. It is used for making "new tracks" from older songs, ala David Guetta; or it can be used for cover tracks people may want to make.

Another way to do this is via Toontrack EZ Keys2 Bandmate feature. It looks at the audio file, gets the note data, and then can create new parts from that using something like AI. You can use the extracted data to generate new chord progressions from plugins like House/Trance Engine, or Scaler. " Learn how to play it", is this Amateur Night at The Apollo now? Sounds like it.

21. amazeMeAgain

amazeMeAgain Newbie

no matter how often you listen, if you don't happen to have an absolute hearing/can transcribe audio into notes in your brain, this won't help much beyond the rhythm and some subjective 'feels like..'-hints

however - in regard of music production itself, I totally agree, learning to hear accurately is just as important as understanding music theory or how to program your synths