How Music Got Free - Music Doc

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DoubleSharp, Jul 24, 2024.

1. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Y'all,

I heard about this doc thru mozilla media streams article, how music lost its value (link below), and I regularly see similiar discussions here...

https://www.fastcompany.com/9115922...ds-90s-napster?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

I guess the question that I have, is, in the article the authour suggests their lack of love for RATM BOLA was because they ripped the album. Does your attitude to the music relate to the medium? If you've invested more money are you more likely to rate the music / artist ? I suspect quite strong corrolation within generall population... It's an interesting title considering the work of Jaques Attali, Political Economy Of Noise.

I'm interested in this psychology, as well as business, what do you guys reckon?

3. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

"There is no mobility in a vinyl collection, but there just might be some nobility." :rofl:

4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Scarcity doesn't elevate in quality or level of artistry that which you do have access to.

A North Korean potato doesn't ascend to be genuine haute cuisine just because the North Koreans don't have access to anything but rice and potatoes. The potato will always be a potato.

More access to more things -> broader basis for comparison -> raises the bar for expected quality -> easier to spot flawed products -> more accurate placement of the product's true quality -> sad musician.

However, the downside of more democratic access to music is that songs that take 2 or 3 listens stand barely a chance of surviving the "skip to next suggestion" button. Optimisation pressure, make it as catchy/simple as possible, speak to the broadest possible audience, first 10 seconds or bust, etc. You can't force anyone to sit down and actually listen to your music out of lack of options anymore.

If the author still doesn't like Battle of LA after all these years, then it's simply an album that never managed to meet his quality standards. Not then, not now.

Doesn't make a difference if it comes with a price tag or none, on CD or over the wire. If it's good, it's good. I don't appreciate any of my CDs more than any of my FLACs.

Some of the stuff I used to like has since disappeared from my playlist, other songs I appreciate even more these days.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024