How much should I charge? (Audiobook)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Nimbuss, May 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

I received an interesting job offer today, a writer would like me to record her book which will be going on Amazon as an audiobook. The book is around 3oo pages and will include two different voices with no SFX.

If anyone has done similar work, how would you bill the client? Per hour of recording or as a lump sum?

I tend to edit on the fly when using Pro tools so debreathing, tightening gaps etc will mostly be done during recording, in terms of mixing, nothing but EQ, compression and mixing to spec will be done ( i assume).

I don't know how many hours 300 pages would translate into so any advice on how to approach this would also be appreciated. Thank you kindly.

3. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

By hour. Try to work out from a 'test' session how many pages you can do in a days work and make a calculation from there for the whole book. If you feel confident you could make fixed price from there if you like. Put it on paper either way. Things usually take longer than you can forsee... Your hourly fee is entirely up to you, what do you charge your other clients per hour of studio time. Be clear about this to your client and see if you can come to an agreement. Cheers good luck! :wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

You have to use your judgment and read into it as best you can. If she is a famous author I would charge by the hour for the recording, and also a fixed sum for post editing if you are handling that as well. If she seems to be struggling to make a name for herself and/or if you are as well I'd negotiate a fixed sum for the task as a whole. In that event there would be no pressure placed on your client to speed read because of a financial burden, and it would make sense for you not to limit your time so you can ensure it will sound as best as it can to the listening ear. That would make her chances for success greater and potentially make your future greater.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

If she's nice looking, charge by the year :wink:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

Or at least by how many times she makes you give her the "O" face! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

can you get "points" for audio book sales like producers sometimes get for songs?--- plus a studio rate per hour? and this might help. I did a search for audio book production rate, this turned up. Google haters? Love google. If it's not on there, it's not out there. It's all in how you ask. They can cookie and data mine me all they want....I'm not really worthy. http://blog.karencommins.com/2011/06/some_simple_math_about_audiobo.html

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Isnt it... One Billion..?? :yes:

11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

im doing jobs like that from time to time - not audiobooks but recordings of speaks for different purpose.

I charge 50 euros per hour - recording, editing etc. and its the most boring kind of job you can get :yes:

12. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Haha ah this community is crazy fun :cheers:
    Much obliged !! Your Google skills are at Black belt level :phunk:

EDIT: this link is golden. Thanks again.

Ahh yes, In my country we have 11 official languages, I once did a ' local government announcement " which involved all 11, it was really fun having so many different people in and out, sadly I didn't have enough time to give them seperate channels :wow: one size must fit all

Last edited: May 24, 2016