How much do you crank up the volume when listening?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Andrew, Feb 7, 2018.

?

How loud do you listen to music?

1. < 50dB SPL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50 - 60dB SPL

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 60 - 70dB SPL

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. 70 - 80dB SPL

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. 80 - 90dB SPL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 90 - 100dB SPL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 100 - 110dB SPL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. > 110dB SPL

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Ahoy Audiosexers,
    this time I will keep it short and simple. How loud do you listen to music? Is there a difference in levels in casual listening and producing for you?

3. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Producing mostly around 73 dB SPL at my ears, I periodically check with a meter, obviously I listen both louder and quieter for various checks but only for short durations.

Casual listening usually a touch louder, never bothered to measure it, just whatever suits the mood/music/situ.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have my audio interface and speakers calibrated to play back at a little over 80dB (supposedly 83, but an iPhone app is not to be trusted with my soul) with the meters showing -18dB. It's the same ballistics as my digital console. I listen to music at that level all the time. It's loud enough for music to cut through in a conversation with someone else in the room, but not rattling loud. No good reason for that. Im just used to it. When mixing, I lower the volume to -24db for the most of it.

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I keep it low usually, real low... but when mixing for picture, I calibrate .... but generally lower volumes yield not only better sonic results for me, but I have far less fatigue...

6. Low, between 65 to 75 and not for very long when mixing as I have neighbors that I feel need not be subjected to an onslaught of dBs. I will put on headphones for the most part and check it out with the monitors for that small time. I have come to know my cans very well and so translation is dandy. I hardly ever listen loudly at home but will turn it up when driving by myself. If I was working again would have a space to turn it up, but no more. I also never really turn up my guitar amps for the same reasons. I sometimes sing louder than my monitors are putting out when listening back, LOL.

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Pretty much same here. 70dB tops when producing and usually 64dB when just listening. When it's really quiet I take the volume even to 50dB and below