How many of you actually have a job relevant to your education?

Discussion in 'Education' started by tejas106, Dec 18, 2020.

1. tejas106

tejas106 Newbie

Just curious what you currently do and if it is related to your education or if you created your own path in life unrelated to schooling. Thank you!

3. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Nope started out in banking as a management trainee and did about 5 years working in banking doing cashier, selling loans you name it. I actually had sponsorship to go to University but decided at 18 I'd had enough of school and got this management trainee job instead.

Ended up (via internal move in same bank) as a junior developer, then developer, systems analyst, senior developer then finally a database administrator.

I was really lucky to be fair in that I was in involved in the C64 and Amiga demoscene and taught myself to code 6502 and 68000 assembler. I saw an internal junior programmer job come up which was basically coding in a 4GL type language doing internal systems and applied.

At the interview I gave the guys a disk of my Amiga code (3d polygons, sine scrollers and other typical demoscene stuff) and they called me the next day offering me the job. I think it would be much trickier to make such a move now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

f%ck work. this system is sick.

(registered nurse. studied theology for some time, was at music school for some time, but i was on the street a lot and also studied from the gutter. the schools were warm and you could request money when you were at universities. but its really different if you never had a home or functioning family i guess. idk :dunno: no need for safety here ... but one thing is for sure. the more you learn the better. no one can take that from you and it opens doors and makes you more independent)

traplife baby :break:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020