How long does it take you to load Omnisphere

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

i got 15 secs in Live 9.7.5 now after installing some of the missing updates, I'm at update 2.3.2h 64bit

What's your latest update?

FYI I'm running a i7 6700 win 10 / SSD for programs / SATA for STEAM / 16GB of DDR4 1066

I'm just thinking of it like Kontakt now instead of a normal VST plugin! worth the wait!

Loving this synth. Glad I got it running after all these years of wondering....One word EPIC

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Anyway, it's a huge difference for loading the plugin only compared to others with similar hardware.
    OK, Omnisphere is worth waiting, but ...
    Just thinking loudly: Does Live or Omnisphere use a Network share or DVD drive when you start up. Even if it's just a few bytes, it's time consuming to wind up DVD just detecting that there is no DVD on the tray. Parts of STEAM may be connected to DVD or Network share via HardLink (symbolic link masking the physical place where data resides)

Stop all A/V and Windows Defender for a test
    Observe via Taskmanager or - better - Resource Monitor, what's going on in your system when you start Omnisphere or load a patch.
    Does DVD wind up?
    Check your STEAM for any HardLinks and correct (delete hardlink and just copy the folders and files of the hard link physically)
    As for the ATA drive you use: Do you regularily defragment the disks? If not, do it! Windows delivers an automatism you must only start once for all non-SSD drives

3. The version of Omnisphere that I bought came with Steam preinstalled on an external drive. I think it is an SSD but not sure. Still takes about 10 seconds on a 2014 3770K i7 machine w/16 gigs of ram.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I would suspect the initial loading time of the VST depends on the specs of your machine, while the loading time of a bigger patch depends on patches on SSD or not. That sounds logical to me (if Omnisphere does not load anything but an init patch on start)

OK, that wasn't true. It seems Omnisphere scans some directories inside STEAM during startup. That may take time depending on the count of files inside those directories. Depending on what Omnisphere does it's up to 21.000 files to check for whatever reason on my SSD.

10 or 15 seconds is not a problem for me, but we're so familiar today with instantly starting apps, that we have problems accepting loading times at all. :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

After installing the latest upgrade to the database and the VST

Software 2.3.2h --> 2.4.0f
    Patches 2.3.0c --> 2.4.0d

there IS an issue with loading Omnisphere.

Before it starts almost instantly (~2 seconds) and after it takes 33 seconds. That is what I call a significant difference.

Even if I revert to the old VST v 2.3.2h it's the same. >30 sec waiting time.
    To make it even worse, it now takes a loooong time to switch from one directory to another, say "All" to "All Spectrasonics" or any other directory. :wtf:

Absolutely no hardware change.

So I needed to restore my computer from backup as this loading-behaviour is not acceptable to me.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Too bad buddy I'm sorry to hear that, thanks for sharing tho

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Sure. Here's my daw pc in the picture, opens 5000 Kontakt and 10000 Omnisphere instances in 0.1 ns. I had NASA asking me to build an extended version of this so they can make some simple beats and jam GTA on it too while simulating the big bang but i declined as they offered me only 275000 dlrs for the build. What can i say. Crisis hits the small business first:
    Server-1024x682.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. gloko

gloko Noisemaker

I haven't measured it but I can say for sure that in bitwig it's at least 2 times faster loading the vst and sounds than in ableton 9

• List
  9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I cleared my windows temp folder,
    To my surprise it shortens the loading time

• List
  10. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Where can one find: Trilian, Moog Tribute, Bass Legends

11. How long does it take you to load Omnisphere?

About ten years. :metal:

12. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I know it's an old thread but... my Omnisphere loads in 5 seconds from when I click add -> Omnisphere.
    It takes a few more seconds for heavier patches, but in general it's super fast
    And my PC is really shitty so I don't know why other people take more than me (I can barely run stuff like Diva or Serum without crackles). Maybe I have an old version? It's 2.3 with even a few expansions on, it loads perfect, no SSD or anything like that

btw Fl studio, i3-something and 8gb ram

13. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It really doesn't matter whether it takes 3 seconds to load or 30, It's what you do with it when it's open!

To use the famous analogy!!!!

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

3.12 seconds on macOS
    4.74 seconds on Windows 10

15. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Totally agree as long as you only load one instance a and work for a longer period on it.
    But when you use a lot of instances, say 20, and opening of a project takes forever, that's a show stopper.
    I'm convinced there is a problem that can be solved because 1) the extreme long loading does not happen on every computer and 2) the extreme loading time starts after installing the new 2.4.0f DLL version.

16. ddiggles

ddiggles Member

Did you have any luck reverting?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  17. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

I run mine from Samsung 850 Evo SSD via TB3 and all things Spectrasonics load quite fast (maybe up to 5 sec or so for the largest files using the latest releases - mac) compared to running off a standard enterprise drive. Kontakt and Komplete Knotrol are other matters. They don't seem to care if you have a fast drive.

18. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes everything works great again.
    But I needed to go back to the prior version not only for the DLL but for the database as well. Because the older DLL does not work correctly with the new db.
    I reverted from a backup, not by installing the older DLLs over (not sure if that will work)

When we see that some people have no problems and others have, I'm quite sure there is a solution, we only need to find it. :wink:

19. ddiggles

ddiggles Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. frankx

frankx Guest

i have a 2011 acer aspire - i3 8 gb ram 2 tb 7200 rpm and it takes about 10-15 seconds.