How long do SSDs actually last?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Nick Bellagio, Sep 12, 2023.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

as I didn't see it mentioned here, I use a software called hard disk sentinel and it saved me a few times at work (we replaced the SSDs in time)

2. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Just make sure to never write anything or stick labels on them. Not even with so called suitable markers. It will seriously degrade the lifespan of your cd/dvd's. In the beginning I often wrote text on them with suitable markers to identify them or put labels on audio cd's. A lot of those where already unreadable after 10-15 years or so. While I seldom encountered any issues with disk that were clean. Even till today. My oldest burned cd is about 27 years old now now.
    I only wrote a number on the inner (transparent) part of the cd/dvd to identify them and cataloged them with a program called 'WhereIsIt' so I can always easily see what's on a disk or search for something and see what disk contains this. Like @Garamondo Furbish mentioned about 'CD Catalog" this program also works for any other type of disk as long as it has I drive letter so also for HDD and SSD's.

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

you can get printable dvds & cds. The data is stored in the dye layer which is on top of the medium, I know.. WTF? why is all the acrylic on the bottom? yeah so if you scratch the top or the marker leaches into the dye it can destroy the disk.
    But the printable ones have a layer of paint or something on the top over the dye layer -
    so even more protection and they are built to be marked on. I usually mark mine with a unique id#
    and use that as the medium label in cd catalog expert. Further the disk goes into a file box that holds about 100 cd/dvd's, and the box gets a label so 261224red1, was made on dec 26 2024 and is the box marked "RED#1" - makes retreival much easier when you need it. By color coding the boxes, you use them for purposes, like RED is software archive, BLUE is music archive, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Buy-Pr...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

[​IMG]

4. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

also don't leave them in a sunny window... don't ask me how I know solar radiation screws up thermal dyes...

5. behelit

behelit Noisemaker

under a decade thats fersure