how long are you going to make music?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kate Middleton, Feb 11, 2024.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's not something I feel obligated to do. It's like breathing, a part of me, and a need like food or sex. It is not so physically strenuous that I couldn't do it even as sickly as I am (heart...) and crazy (brain... :rofl:), so I'm gonna do it until I'm dead and buried. That might not be a very long time, but I've been doing it since 12yo... that makes it quite a while. wow. it just dawned on me how long. :) oh well.. It's the quality of the time you've had, not the length, that truly matters. :wink:

Imagine this: Jim Morrison was only 27yo when he died. So were some other artists, like Janis Joplin. There's even a stupid myth about 27 years being cursed for musicians. :rofl: I had it pretty hard at 27, too... it's because you feel your youth is going away, mid life crisis - you're gonna be 30 and an old git! :) And similar happens every 10 years since then. We shouldn't pay so much attention to years...

Maybe your best years are still just around the corner! ha! :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  2. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

until the ai overlords take over. so basically next month or so :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

This question has been on my mind a lot of late. It should be noted that the peak of my enthusiasm (that point where a vision of your future is an infinite road of possibilities) was around 1977. And I embraced it and brimming with confidence (in spite of little skill or talent) forged a path in those heady days of the 80's where I composed synth pop and had success on record and in playing live. Then I became a "producer" (in the old fashioned sense of the word) and helped a lot of bands record albums in my studio. This led me into the 90's and I became a "techno" producer (the new descriptor of the term). With this I also had success. Around 2000 I became a film score composer. This was rewarding and enjoyable. I then worked with some international artists utilising internet sharing. Again, a challenging and rewarding exercise which resulted in Billboard chart success. Then in my 60's I decided to just make music for myself. I had a few years of prolific writing and pushed myself to make "authentic" music that encompassed all I knew about music. Which it turns out, isn't very much at all. Now 65 and with all possibilities open to me in my studio, my lack of skill, knowledge and talent has seen me evaluate my decades of output as rather limited in scope. So in reply to your question, there are barriers, limits, but they are of your own making. I doubt myself and this is inhibiting my music making. Is this a natural consequence of ageing? Have I done everything I set out to do? Sometimes I think I did, and more. Which makes me lazy and complacent. So, how long am I going to make music? I don't know. For the first time in my life, it doesn't seem important. I haven't bought new gear for years because I've realised that it's a falsehood that the latest keyboard, drum machine or plugin will spark some creativity. It's me. Maybe my time is up. And really, 47 years is a pretty good effort.
    If anyone has any ideas on how to keep up the desire to continue doing anything, I'd love to know.

4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Not sure if you are serious m8, you are a hard read most of the time. If you are, just go out in the wild or your basement with a like minded friend and fuck around with songs. Even if they contribute nothing outside of a rolled eye or drinking all your beer, it's easier to do for others than ourselves. As long as your honest and they honestly have a like mind something might come of it.

If it doesn't give it a break, take a trip and come back to it when it wants to come to you. Play other people's stuff and just read the news and watch a shit ton of television - not youtube clickbait shit - real stuff that might get you mad, happy, horny, sad and come out of left field or anything that gets you.

Just programming.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Until my time is up

When we started decades ago we found a hunger that needed satisfying. You have to tap into that again :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. kola

kola Member

It will end, because there is a point where Music cant give you, what you want anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

Until I can no more.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Exactly. It's vital to me.

9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

music is food for the soul
    how long are you going to eat?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Ryck

Ryck Guest

If God wills it, I was born with this (when I was a child, I used to invent songs while walking down the street), and I will die with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2024
  11. Ryck

Ryck Guest

No, music doesn't have an age limit; that's imposed by a part of society and your mind. Make music, and the rest will come naturally

12. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

till I can't drag myself into my home studio anymore...

13. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I don't mean like there's an age to retire, you're absolutely right. I mean that when you grow old, you lose capabilities and skill. Very few people get to be 80 and run around a stage like a Rolling Stone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Electro

Electro Member

Until my heart tells me to stop.

15. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I play the guitar every day, and unless I'm not working I've got some sort of recording set-up every day.

So maybe I'll stop making releases and shit, but I can't ever imagine not noodling on some sounds. Who cares if it's shit?

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

till im physicially no longer able to.

17. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Ultrasonic

bellissima

18. lordradish

lordradish Ultrasonic

When I die, even the decay will be making music.

19. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

"Til the day I die!" (Pete Townsend)

20. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

How long, how long...