how is dynamic range measured?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Aug 18, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

on the reamixed site...its a site where ppl submit mixes for a song as competition......for each submission they write what the dynamic range was for that project.

how do they measure that? what meter is used to measure dynamic range

thanks!

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Best Answer
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

can i ask u do you actually use this to check ur final master? and what number do u go for? whats good or not? or u just compare to other tracks u like i guess?

5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I do not use this. Metering, especially dynamic range metering, has no objective qualitative value in it.
    This is why I wrote the second sentence.
    It's not as complicated as people wish it is.

6. Lube Bag

Lube Bag Producer

Use. Your. Ears.

Mastering is about making a track sound as good as it possibly can, across a wide range of playback systems and environments.

Some tracks will sound better with a large DR, some will sound better considerably more squashed - it's up to you to make that aesthetic decision.

As the old adage goes: If it sounds good, it is good.

No-one (apart from a subset of audio geeks) cares about DR figures - the ONLY thing that's important is if the track actually sounds good, and makes you feel something.

Like with so many of your other questions - there's no magic number / shortcuts.

You need to develop your ears and your listening skills, and stop worrying about numbers, because by and large they're arbitrary and meaningless.

^^ This

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The contest's rules say you can only use Reaper/JSFX plugins, so I guess the one that comes with Reaper, called "Dynamic Range Meter"?

It's a Reaper-centric mixing contest for Reaper purists.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Maybe they even get crazy and bounce their finished file, and then calculate it manually: how-to-calculate-audio-dynamic-range

if you keep asking questions like this, you won't have to worry about it. self solving problem, really. :yes:

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

As already said, adjusting a song to specific dynamic range is nonsense, it depends on the arrangement. Two extreme examples: a ballad with some very low parts and loud final chorus (= high dyn range) vs a Punk song which starts full and loud, continues and ends this way (= 'zero' dyn range). Would change the arrangement/mix and thus the dynamic range because of a stupid number?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

OP had an imposed condition to fulfill. So we just should help him without giving him lessons he did not ask for.
    So, try very versatile Youlean Loudness Meter Pro, it can be found on sister site.

11. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

petrrr,
    google "reamixed", go to first hit, go to "getting started"

look out for "Contest Rules"
    ...yaddah yadda...
    2. The loudness measurement of the project should not exceed -14 LUFS (integrated), and the peak should not exceed -1 dBFS. You can use SWS or Youlean to measure LUFS for your file...

what sws? some lines above:
    A useful Reaper extension is known as SWS. It expands reapers functionality in a number of ways, but one that is important for the contest is the ability to measure loudness using LUFS.

pratyahara,
    thats the lesson the op asked for? please consider, i never had used nor even installed reaper. :guru: