How important is the GPU when building a production PC

Discussion in 'PC' started by Guud Times, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Guud Times

Guud Times Newbie

If you're on a tight budget, you can just stick with the old models for GPU and invest more on CPU?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Guud Times
    Yes they can, but it would be helpful to know what you have built in and what you want to buy.

4. Guud Times

Guud Times Newbie

I'm not exactly building one right now, only to planning ahead because I might be able to afford one only around next year

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Then I wish you that you can make your dreams come true.

6. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

If you are only using the PC for music production then the integrated graphics on the cpu should be more than enough.

I have an Intel i9 and it runs all my music software on a 34 inch ultrawide monitor with no problems. You only need a dedicated gpu if you plan on running high end games but for music production, Youtube, films etc the cpu works fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

THIS!

Im also working for 5 years now with my iGPU (i7 7700K) and my UltraWide Screen (3440x1440) and i dont have any performance problems at all.

8. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

I recently upgraded to Ryzen 7 5700g, with the focus on music production. Well, thats the best thing I did, the latency is stupdly low, the performance is great, in fact I had a 750ti and a 1050ti before, this is certainly way better than the 750ti and almost the same as a 1050ti, but without nvidia latency-full drivers and with upgradable vram.

Also, the best part is that youre payin a totally reasonable price, since the cpu itself is totally worth it for the cores and clock and also gpus are pricy as hell today, so getting one that just comes with your cpu is nice!

I recommend you that if you buy this processor just get a good motherboard and ram (3600, 4000mhz) to extract the best from this chip

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@Kuuhaku These new 5xxxG series Ryzens are incredible value for money, especially for musicians. DPC Latency is low and the GPU is twice as fast as Intel offerings, even those newest Iris XE and HD770 GPUs in iX 11XXX CPUs. However, I have really good experiences with the built in Intel GPUs, too. From HD530 on, they work great for audio workstations and even for some quite old games. Heck, even HD4000 [pre-Skylake] is fine for audio production computers. I do play some 15+ old games from time to time. Strategy mostly, and some racing [NFS :)]. They work excellent with my HD530.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Agreed!! after doing some tweaks on the bios and a overclock (from 2000 to 2350) I managed to run GTA V at 40/50fps with every setting on high, thats just incredible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

With the 5xxxGs they finally have a winner, but I wouldn't discard 4xxxGs and even 3xxxGs so quickly. They can be had for a really low price these days. :wink: Ryzen 5 4600G for instance. It's great. 6 Zen2 cores and Vega11 graphics [I think]... yum. Although Zen3 CPUs are the real good stuff. :wink:

12. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

All that have been said about g CPUs is right.
    If you plan to buy or mount an AMD machine, better wait 'till next year, as they are going to change socket for Zen 4 generation. Also there will be support for DDR 5.

13. demberto

demberto Rock Star

DDR5 will make AMD iGPUs even faster, maybe 6700G can reach 1050ti level performance, who knows?

14. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

For sure, if they bring RDNA 2 and Vega 11 to desktop apu's on ryzens 6000... damn, this would be crazy, I bet that we could get a 1060 level of video card on apus, and with DDR5? Damn... all of that inside the cpu, with almost zero risks of the gpu just dying or giving some problems that are common on dedicated gpus... Can't wait for it haha

15. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

That depends on a genre too. For some acoustic rock-ish things, or more classical EDM GPU isn't important, since you'll have plenty of spare processing power anyways.
    For more elaborate electronic music genres, math metal derivatives or hyperpop, you'll want every last bit of your processor to be busy with DSP. Here, an adequate GPU will mean a difference between project crackling like shit and everything running smoothly. But not necessarily a powerful one, anything separate from your CPU will work.
    You'll also need a fast storage to install all your audio software and samples on.

16. Magneto

Magneto Member

Plus the added bonus of having a free PCIe slot for other purposes, like an additional M.2 NVMe Drive!

17. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

you just made my day! this is what i chose to build my new machine. i did a lot of research, but i was still feeling uneasy about not having a video card. but the prices are just so ridiculous right now.

18. renatarey

renatarey Noisemaker

CPU is more important than GPU I think...