[How?] get a balanced stereo Piano

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by metaller, May 13, 2018.

1. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

You could just split the output of the piano into 2 mono channels and just pan whatever channel you want into whatever place you want ( it would be best do this with dry piano sound and add time effects later so if don't mind putting those back in post - - turn them off.)

Of course it has been mentioned if you use a DAW that has dual mono pan controls or the ability you can just do that.

I.E. in Samp/Seq you have to RTCLICK the pan pot and you get the Stereo Editor window that allows you to edit the pan settings and pan method. You don't need a plugin for this and you are better off doing the manual way. I don't know how dense of a mix you are trying to create but if it were me and the piano part didn't need to be edited anymore, I would split it into 2 mono signals [L/R] and print one mono sum EQ/PAN/GAIN/SEND all 3 to taste and find my way through like that.

GL

SE_SAMP.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

I've been using Addictive Keys grand for some time now.....Seems to sit much better in mix than EZ Keys
    Also you need to look at what else you hav going on in your mix that is overlapping or conflicting with the frquencies

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

would this work?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Thank you @mozee :mates:I think the only solution disregarding changing library is automating the panning. In studio one there is a plugin that can do this for me. The simple panning will also work.

Thanks, @doctorG. :wink: Yes, I tried it, and the multiple mic positions allow to tweak the stereo image very easily.

Thank you @dragonhill :woot: I should try this. I think some automation will be needed for different parts of the song.

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

You mentioned you have a busy mix. Why the hell are you trying to make the piano stereo after narrowing it down? Make a decision. It's either wide or not. If you decide the piano is important, keep it stereo without narrowing and change the rest around that. If the piano just plays some offbeat chords or whatever, why do you need to artificially stereoize it? For background rhythm YOU DON'T NEED YOUR PIANO IN STEREO. It will work better in mono. Yes it sounds weird if the piano is sticking out on just one side. You fix that with recording a guitar that plays the same or complementary background rhythm and panning it to the other side. Then it's no longer a problem. Arrangement is important! It will actually sound wider than piano with a stereoizer (really!)

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Best Answer
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

One question about ReCenter (which isn't answered in the product description):
    How does it handle sounds with a lot of room or reverb components?
    By re-panning it will also amplify the reverb tail from previous notes on one side, right?

• List
  8. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Ok, IMO this plugin is amazing! I spent this morning trying it out and will continue to do so during the trial after which I believe will buy it.

I'm seeing so many opportunities with this plugin, but, for me, most of all would be manipulation of the samples with baked in room/hall. It does so good job I just can't believe it. But also any stereo recorded instrument , it just fixes those phasing issues so effortlessly, it's so well optimized regarding the CPU consumption. In multibend mode works well even on the master buss.

I tried matching it with flux stereotool which is very flexible...no way, here are some real-time dynamic processes involved. I love these smart algos!

@metaller Man, thank you so much for this gem!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019