How does R2R compress big files with 7zip?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Guitarmaniac64, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

I want to save hardrive space and i have seen R2R releses where they managed to compress 1.5 GB files so it is only half the size, and sometimes they managed to compress a 500mb to less than 50mb.
    Does anyond know how they setup 7zip? as i have tried so many settings and the zipfile is always approximately the same size as the original file.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. trz303

trz303 Producer

Compression depends on file type.
    With non-compressed data files (ISO, for exemple) you can achieve good compression. But with already compressed files (JPEG, PDF ...) you cant get high ratio.
    Best 7zip settings are :

• 7z
    • 9 - Ultra
    • LZMA2
    • Dictionary 512mb
    • Word 256
    • Solid
    • As many threads as you can throw at it
    • Memory percent 80%
    But you need a strong CPU and 64go ram ...

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Consult the 7-zip manual (7-zip.chm -> Command Line -> -m switch -> 7z) for additional parameters that go beyond the maximums that the GUI exposes.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Lunarpole

Lunarpole Platinum Record

Bruh R2R are witches so they just throw a spell over files, and the files automatically compressed to whatever size R2R wants them to be.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. trz303

trz303 Producer

The problem with command line options : there is no real clue how to use all the best and most efficient commands together ...
    You can still achieve good results with GUI's "minimal" set of switches.

7. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

It's mostly true, but some say to use less cores, max 2 threads?

8. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

You're under the impression that they do anything other than regular compression. Some executables scale better than others, for several reasons. The settings posted by @trz303 compress the recent Ozone R2R release from 500mb to 188mb, like the original .7z provided by R2r themselves. Dropping the dictionary and word settings down to the default 64mb, plus default 16gb solid block, only increases the filesize by 1mb. That's because the Ozone executable scales really well with compression.

Really makes no difference other than taking longer. Use your cores and threads, especially if you're going to idle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

Amazing, good to know, thank you :wink:

10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

One reason, for plugins in particular, to use additional switches is because LZMA supports stronger compression methods for executable code (BCJ2). However, 7-zip GUI-maximum will not use those methods on VST3, CLAP, LV2, AAX, [...] even though those file formats are just plain old DLLs by a different name.

Code:
    # Default GUI maximum:
    7za a -mx9       gui.7z "Amp Locker.vst3"
    # GUI max plus full file analysis:
    7za a -mx9 -myx9 cli.7z "Amp Locker.vst3"

14752   cli.7z
    15080   gui.7z
    Easy win, even more if this enables combining 90% of your VST3, AAX, CLAP into a single dictionary entry.

IIRC the 7-zip GUI let's you add custom switches, or maybe that was the 7-zip Standard fork.

11. Kelsier

Kelsier Kapellmeister

For what its worth

FreeArc has better compression for large data sets due to its large dictionary. For smaller data sets, 7zip is better

12. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

7Zip is better than WinRAR at finding repetitive blocks of data, even among separate files. So, if an installer contains a plugin in a couple of formats (e.g. x32 and x64, VST and VST3 etc.), chances are that some large amount of data (like, say, graphics) are the same, but occur multiple times (for every format). 7Zip finds them more efficiently and thus reduces the archive's size.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  13. Pim Sukkel

Pim Sukkel Member

https://audiosex.pro/threads/how-to-achieve-the-best-file-archive-compression.73779/#post-750045
    in my post under this thread you can find 7zip-settings I found to work best in general, if you want best compression (not regarding speed).
    good luck :)

14. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

No not really i tried to compress the same setup file but i never managed to get the same result as R2R i don't know why? hence why i made this thread
    But as trz303 said i might need a very powerful cpu and atleast 64GB memory so it could be that my PC is to weak for those tasks.
    i have an Intel i7 from 2013 and 32 gb ddr3

Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  15. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

16. Pim Sukkel

Pim Sukkel Member

hi,
    your computer is fine for good compression :)
    processor-power is just for speed, RAM is important for amount of compression possible, and 32Gb is more than enough: I get very good results with only 16Gb RAM

17. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

extreme compression requires special equipment

[​IMG]
    then when its compacted, be very careful not to drop your data or it may decompress back to original size.

note this is not actual size nor the actual equipment used by R2R, they have a proprietary digital hydraulic press that fits in a backpack, that all their mules have to carry as part of their apprenticeship. It builds character and gives them a place to hide their weed as well. The witches be smart and shit....

18. Garamondo Furbish

all that does is speed up the process, an i-3 or an i7 are gonna do the same maths. Its a matter of settings, and the source data.
    some data types can hardly be compressed at all, others can be incredibly smooshed.

so you are always working with 2 variables. Type of data, and compression settings.
    suggest you practice extracting and repacking archives that impress you with their compression ratio so you can become familiar with the nuances of the process.

some releases (not necessarily R2R) come double or triple packed, rars that unzip to zip files which extract to a group of files that must be combined either/or once again unrared.Don't know how much space this actually saves, but its jolly good fun trying to figure out what the fuck they were doing and where the treasure actually lies in the bottom of these nesting russian dolls.

19. Garamondo Furbish

one other note, sometimes files are compressed because its faster for the operating system to copy one large chunk of data, rather than thousand or 10's of thousands of small files. like some of Artutia's programs with so many gfx files, or samples & midi libraries. its not always about the compression factor, sometimes its ease of transport and copying.