How does one make the Super Mario Kart TG77/SY99 brass sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by MokuseiFolf13, Sep 27, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

To many who can afford the actual devices, my situation couldn't be any more constricting hence it isn't all that easy for me. I'm also trying to get the Syntronik 99 synth on my machine to see if that would be substantial enough to work around this synthesizer deficit.

Most importantly, upon some research, the basis of the Yamaha TG77/SY99 is that of a DX7MkII, hence Dexed perhaps can be of service in replicating, or at the very least imitate the sound I'm looking to reproduce. Dexed thankfully supports .sysex banks/patches, though I doubt it's capable of taking in TG77 patches given the difference in operators.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to your advice. Feel free to send any files that can help along in this musical journey of mine! To describe a much broader ambition: I'm looking to see if plenty of basic SY99 sounds can be "emulated" on Dexed.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

There are many video tutorials about making famous video game music and sounds out there. There are also some SY99/TG77 Kontakt libraries. I like how Dexed sounds, but I have never gotten past it's interface. I like the idea of reducing menu diving, a lot. But I would rather do that, than have a thousand parameters all on the front panel.

I haven't used this one personally, but based on other past Gospel Musicians stuff;
    I'm pretty certain it would be as good as any other UVI library based on a vintage synth:

Gospel Musicians TGX-99 Yamaha SY99-TG77 for UVI Falcon.

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I guess this is for the SNES Mario Kart?

If you want a perfect rip of the samples, download the Super Mario Kart SPC files, get VGMTrans, import the SPC, export as DLS, drag the DLS into Plogue sforzando.

Then pick the correct instrument from the dropdown and play like any other instrument. Or just convert to wav.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I suppose that could work but I'm meaning to do it from the source but perhaps I'll consider it. I appreciate it!

7. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

In regards to the Syntronik 99 with the oscillators being sample based, is it similar to that of the TGX-99 like clone mentioned? Even sampler based synthesis could suffice, but what I'd like to know is if it's sampled down to the waveforms as if it were a faithful emulated version of the SY99?

8. genophyte

genophyte Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

If nothing else, I'd use VGMTrans to extract the MIDI from the SPC, so you can gauge how far off you are while working on the synth patch.

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Sorry, I've no experience with it.