How does logic Pro X handles mono/stereo tracks?

Discussion in 'Logic' started by asad12, Oct 13, 2015.

1. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

I've done my homework intensively on logic lately. I watched lots of tutorials and learned many things. I think Logic Pro X is a complete workstation.

One thing only that I couldn't find enough info about is mono and stereo tracks in Logic. As a Pro Tools user, I am used to having real mono tracks in PT. It's also very easy to split a stereo tracks to 2 mono tracks in PT with 2 clicks without having to route your tracks' output.

how does logic deals with this situation?

Is there real mono tracks in Logic? I know this question might sound stupid, but it's ok. I don't know everything.

The reason I like to work with mono tracks is the stereo imaging. I don't use stereo widening plugins because I think they alter the sound. I always split stereo tracks to mono then nudge each tracks the right or left depending on how wide I want the track to sound.

btw, I did use the search function in AS and came up with nothing.
    Any help on this subject is appreciated.

3. Creme

Creme Kapellmeister

splitting stereo file on mono track in logic is a direct consequence of being use to protools.. exactly like people installing an antivirus on the very first mac they own when switching from pc... my two pences.

4. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

if you have mono clips you just put them on mono audio tracks , you just have to rename the .L .R to .left .right or logic will treat both as dual-mono stereo clips, there is no elegant split editing like in pt. you could also work with stereo files and use bus routing to get two mono signals using 2 sends to two stereo busses, then using the "gain" plugin on each to leave just left or right signal +the mono switch, so you end up with a mono signal on a stereo bus. then you can treat each channel individually, still on a stereo bus but with a mono signal. instead of nudging you could use the sample delay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Chabolak

Chabolak Newbie

Logic handles Stereo/Mono tracks very nicely. No need for any conversion. If you want to create stereo image by adding a little bit delay between left and right channels, all you need to do is, using the included "Sample Delay" plug-in in Logic. You can add time difference between left and right channel by adding delay to either left or right channels.

Also Channel strips in Logic could be easily converted from Mono to Stereo or vice versa. All you have to do is to find the little circle on the channel strip, it's located at the left side of your input selection. By clicking on that you can toggle between stereo and mono. If it shows on circle it's mono, if it shows two circle, it's in stereo mode.

6. beatroot

beatroot Producer

7. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Producer

Right-click on the Channel Mode Button (the little square with the circle on the Input Button) this lets you choose only the left or right channel of the incoming stereo signal from the Audio Region. Make a duplicate of that Track (cmd+click on the New Track with Duplicate Settings Button) and set this Track to receive the other channel.

Of course, you can use a Stereo Track and use Dual Mono Plugins so you can treat left and right channel differently (different delay)

8. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

Is there a way to force a instrument plugin that offers only stereo mode to act as multi mono?

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

but Inserting delay to widen the sound is not mono compatible.

Going by this statement, you've already altered the sound by doing a delay. The only difference is that it's via the DAW, And not a FX, creating the illution of no-change. In fact, restricting yourself to this is, probably worse than not. See HERE for a bunch of other techniques & mono comparison.