How does a fella automate Kontakt? Where is...

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by krameri, Apr 30, 2024.

1. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

First off, I'm using HCiSO's Kontakt in Logic on a Mac.

I've used Kontakt for a while, but I don't recall trying to automate parameters in it before. When I went to automate something today, the list of parameters is just numbers. Please tell me this ain't broken!

upload_2024-4-29_20-59-3.png

Thank y'all!
    Mark

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I do not use Kontakt 7. Right now it is showing you the CC#'s when really you want the name of that parameter. This is ChatGPT's response just to save me some typing:

Me: Logic Pro X showing CC numbers in Automation Menu, but I want Parameter Names to show instead

GPT: In Logic Pro X, if you're seeing MIDI CC (Continuous Controller) numbers in the automation menu instead of parameter names, it's likely because Logic is displaying MIDI data rather than the parameter names of the instrument or effect you're controlling. Here's how you can switch it:

1. Select the Track: First, select the track that you want to automate.

2. Automation Parameter Display: Go to the track header area and locate the automation parameter display. It's usually a small arrow or triangle next to the track name or the parameter name.

3. Choose Parameter Names: Click on the automation parameter display. You should see a dropdown menu with options for displaying automation parameters. Look for an option that says something like "Show Parameter Names" or "Display Automation Parameter Names."

4. Select Parameter Names: Click on this option, and Logic should now display the parameter names instead of MIDI CC numbers in the automation menu.

5. Adjusting Automation: Once you've selected parameter names, you can now easily choose the parameter you want to automate from the automation menu, and Logic will display the parameter name instead of MIDI CC numbers.
    If you're still having trouble, make sure that the instrument or effect you're automating is properly set up in Logic, and that it supports automation with parameter names. Some third-party plugins may not fully integrate with Logic's automation system, which could cause issues like this.

Or I would do this after a quick restart of Logic:

To me, The easiest way to automate something in Logic, is to use Latch Mode on that channel when you get started. That way you just record a little bit of data to the channel and you will see what CC# that particular parameter is recording.

In Logic, push the A key for Show Automation. At the bottom left of the channel, it should show READ by default in that dropdown. Switch it to Latch. Then hit your spacebar to begin playback, and move any knob or other control on the plugin you want to control.

Hit spacebar to stop playback and when you are done, change it back to READ. The dropdown under the Track blue button will show the lanes you just wrote automation into. This is a trick to avoid looking up CC#s.

[​IMG]

4. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

@clone

I didn't know that trick, thanks! That's great to know.

But I tried with the mod wheel too, and that didn't work. I need the mod wheel :)

Edit: I figured out how to do the same thing by figuring out what the mod wheel is controlling and then automating using the latch trick

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

it makes everything very easy about automation. the only thing, you have to get used to using it a bit. sometimes you may forget to switch it back to Read, and some other particular quirks and behaviors. But it works with any parameter inside Logic on the channel, including mixer, eq's, sends, mute button/bypass. Nearly anything, but i'm sure there are some exceptions.

Touch automation mode is a little different from Latch, with main difference being what happens when you stop moving a control. And what value for the parameter is written from there to the end of that track. Certain situations call for one or the other, but I almost always end up using Latch.