How do you transpose a song from C major into the relative minor A minor?

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Mar 16, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

How do you transpose a song from C major into the relative minor A minor?

is it possible just by pitch shifting?

3. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Best Answer
    You can not
    you can modulate from C maj to A min, but it will be another "theme" (possibly similar to your original)

No. :no:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Uh, I think you may have misunderstood something.
    A melody written in the major will work over the relative minor.
    edit: And yes, as said above, you cannot make a major key song into a minor key song.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can modulate so that he tonic changes from C to A (relative minor). :)
    Edit: Roberto already stated the obvious, obviously.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. ACAS

ACAS Kapellmeister

Transpose your song (in major key) 3 half-steps down, then change the below degrees to fit into the minor key:
    3->b3
    6->b6
    7->b7

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Transpose. Move every note down a minor 3rd. Or move every note up a major 6th.
    Modulating is not the same as transposing, but if that's what you meant there are infinite ways to get from C+ to A-... (C+, Bdim, A-) (C+, E7, A-,) (C+, Bdim, E7, Am) (C+, B half dim, E7#5, A-) ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect

8. Smoove Grooves

Yeah, nice try Baxter! Cheeky! :winker: Best Answer already awarded, you can't try and steal it. :rofl:

9. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

If you want to hear some unique sounding AutoTune that sounds different than Antares AutoTune, CrispyTuner, Waves Tune Real-Time etc, try out zplane reTune, because it uses Polyphonic AutoTune and it can be used in Real-Time, it sounds totally different than Monophonic AutoTune VST's and key and scales changes are very noticeable with Polyphonic AutoTune, unlike Monophonic AutoTune.

You can use zplane reTune to force a voice or song into any key & scale with Polyphonic AutoTune in Real-Time, that's actually it's main strength, I have like 100 custom scales saved as presets lol.

That seems to be the advantage using Polyphonic AutoTune instead of Monophonic AutoTune, because the key & scale change is more noticeable with zplane reTune Polyphonic AutoTune.

I'll show you 3 different examples, here's my same voice recording using zplane reTune to force it into 3 different scales with Polyphonic AutoTune.

Notice how they all sound totally different from each other, and they probably wouldn't sound much different from each other if i used a Monophonic AutoTune plugin like Antares AutoTune, because it uses Monophonic AutoTune.

zplane reTune Major C Scale (Polyphonic AutoTune)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9ki1y5xkhday4wg/Major_C.mp3/file

zplane reTune Balinese C Scale (Polyphonic AutoTune)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/49jocmuza2q1798/Balinese_C.mp3/file

zplane reTune Negative Harmony / Reverse Chromatic Scale (Polyphonic AutoTune)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/51wepnys3iu9ba0/Reverse_Chromatic.mp3/file

10. Smoove Grooves

I listened to your zPlane examples last time you posted them in someone's thread and I didn't find them as revealing as I know of the technology.
    So you're a dev, right?

11. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

I am not a dev, i am just someone who has been using zplane reTune and experimenting with it since 2016, because it's Real-Time Polyphonic AutoTune offers more possibilities than the typical Monophonic AutoTune.

zplane reTune is one of my favorite audio plugins, because it's the only audio plugin that does a good job of Real-Time Polyphonic AutoTune, and Zynaptiq PITCHMAP does a bad job of Real-Time Polyphonic AutoTune.

Ironically, my other favorite audio plugin is Zynaptiq Morph.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021