How do you reply to critics while saying i dont care?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by diego018, Jan 9, 2012.

1. diego018

diego018 Newbie

A friend of mine posted something in my wall:

"i like your music but honestly i dont like when the voice enters. blah blah"

he was a little offensive in some words. (some friends started to be a little agressive and that since our band took more fame "

i want to answer something polite and professional but at the same time saying "thanks for your commentary, but we really dont care about if you like our music or not "

what do you suggest?

3. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Rule N°1 : Your friends on FB are not your friends.

"But we really dont care about if you like our music or not." isn't the right answer to give, because if it was true :

1. you wouldn't be here to ask our opinion about the right answer to give
    2. you wouldn't even think about answering to him.

The fact is that you care about if he likes your music or not. So be honest and ask your singer to tell him the truth : "Thanks for your nice comment about our music. I'm sorry that you dislike my voice, but it's mine and I don't have any other in stock."

Note : If more than 30 % of your "friends" also dislike your voice, try to find another singer...

4. Slide

Slide Newbie

You say that they are friends. Are they offering constructive criticism and you're taking it wrong, or are they just being dicks? It's pretty obvious that if you put any part of yourself on display, you're going to have critics.

I am not a professional PR guy, but if you feel that you must reply I would suggest "thanks, we'll take your thoughts into consideration" or something along those lines. There is no polite and professional way(IMHO)to respond about not caring what your listeners think.
    Take Metallica. They told their fans "FU, we're going to do what we want"...They lost a lot of respect and fans.

Just my brief opinion before I head to work.
    Laters

5. smartlad

smartlad Member

You have to just take it on the chin and accept in some cases that they actually may be right.

6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

that's an excellent point!

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

May I hear the song?

8. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

what do i suggest?
    if you are going forward successfully already, just ignore negative comments, they don't know what they are talking about.
    confronting them or replying to comments like that is a waste of time and energy.

Let me put it another way, if tha band was death metal or screamo, and the person making that comment wasn't into death metal or screamo, they might for example comment "The music is good till the singing comes in"
    Not realising how stupid it makes their comment... lol

9. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Keep in mind, you put your stuff out there to get objective comments. Not everyone is going to pick up what you're laying down - dig ?
    At the same time: Millions of people love Elvis --- I'm not one of them --- I recognize he had talent and stage presence, but beyond that -- meh
    We all have our own tastes in music --- I'm guessing a devout Hank Williams Jr. fan wouldn't like Afrika Bambaata much ...
    You need to be able to take a kick in the ribs once in awhile (just maintain focus and keep your eyes on the prize) Don't let the negativity
    of others derail you, press forward. If you feel you need to respond, just kill'em with kindness.

"Thank you (Asshole ID Here), we appreciate all objective opinions and will certainly take yours into consideration. We apologize if our
    sound has caused you any distress. Kind Regards -- The Band"

Of course -- "Kind Regards," could easily be replaced with "Sincerely," or "Shove it up your ass," to add that certain aire of cynicism -- the choice is yours !

10. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

Ditto!

11. shio

shio Newbie

I'd probably be a little peeved too after reading that at first, but what you want to do is: Stop, breathe, get collected, think a little bit, then if it warrants as response, respond.

1. Theres no reason to get into a flame war if it can be avoided
    2. Posture - Posture is being you and no one can rock you off of that track that you are on because you believe in yourself

Ex. Having posture is being a very successful businessman, making a bad call, losing everything and declaring bankruptcy, taking it like a champ, picking your self up, dusting yourself off, restarting from 0 KNOWING that you are a HERO, and rocking it all the way back to the top.

That person has posture because no matter what Circumstances i.e what others say "hes a failure!" "OMG he just lost his business his family and his life!", they turned around and won.

Be aware of what others think about you, and take in the good, leave out the bad. Sometimes it takes someone saying the emperor has no clothes for you to realize they are right. I know many bands here in OC that just blow because their singer wasn't great.

And I also know many bands that had an amazing singer and amazing music, just they weren't reaching the right audience. If your the most amazing indie rock band playing in front of a metal crowd, of course they wont be receptive.

Take that into consideration when you read feedback, that person may not be your target demographic so of course they aren't receptive to that death metal growl of your singer when they want the singer from nickelback. :p

Ultimately, work on who you are, who your being, your posture. Stand strong, learn from feedback, learn from others, be unstoppable in reaching your goal. Fail your way forward and learn from your mistakes.

The people that are successful are the ones that got the most rejection and continued forward while everyone else gave up, got hurt, or quit.

To go far, sometimes you have to go far

12. logger

logger Newbie

Boxing rules.....Basic uppercut

13. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Everybody is a music critic, sadly a lot of people have small musical minds, meaning that they have focused their music listening down to just a few types of music.

If your music doesn't fit into their "style" of music, or a projected hit sound, You will probably get a bad review even if you don't ask for it.

You know it is going to be bad if it starts with "It's not my kind of music, but here is what is wrong with your song".

Keep in mind that they represent one person and not even one billionth of the population. Do not let them discourage you!

14. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

You've made my day ! :rofl:

15. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

Yeah, one part of growing as artist is to be able the take the critique. Kinda to show what kinda level you're at; does it matter more to you what others say about you or what you think of yourself. Meaning not to praise yourself unless there's a reason. :wink:

And yo, don't flame, it's a dirty game! *no*

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's what I do LOL :)

17. Dr Kean

Dr Kean Newbie

Check out The Velvet Underground & Nico "ARTWORK", most of the critics hated them, now days they are #13 of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. its OK to be criticized as long you feel the heart is in the right place with art. Peace

18. diego018

diego018 Newbie

thanks ! i have answered:

there will be always people who like our music and others who not. anyway thanks for your comment man and good luck !

thanks for your tips :!

19. PedroCelso

PedroCelso Newbie

tiger uppercut! :wink:

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The Artist director responds to Novak's attack over Vertigo music

The Artist director Michel Hazanavicius has spoken out to defend his use of Bernard Herrman's classic Vertigo score in the Oscar-favourite film after Hollywood veteran Kim Novak accused the Frenchman of "raping" her "body of work".

Novak, who starred in the Alfred Hitchcock thriller, was appalled when she saw a screening of The Artist recently and heard Hermann's famous Love Theme.

Hazanavicius credits the composer at the end of his film but that wasn't enough for the angry actress, who released a statement attacking the director.

She wrote, "I want to report a rape. My body of work has been violated by The Artist. This film took the Love Theme music from Vertigo and used the emotions it engenders as its own."

Hazanavicius was blind sided by the criticism and felt compelled to respond via The Hollywood Reporter.

He says, "I love Bernard Hermann and his music has been used in many different films and I’m very pleased to have it in mine. I respect Kim Novak greatly and I’m sorry to hear she disagrees."

That's how you do it with a bit of class :wink: