How do you re-scan blacklisted Ableton plugins?

Discussion in 'Live' started by Bunford, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Now, I have been an Ableton user for years but have never needed to do this. I checked the manual and done some Googling but can't seem to find an answer.

Is there any way you can re-scan blacklisted plugins in Live?

I know I could theoretically turn the custom folder option "off" and then "on" again in Live's preferences, but that would mean re-scanning my entire plugin collection instead of thehandful that have previously caused error. These were Softube ones that *should* now work I've given Ableton admin right and switch compatability to Windows 8.

Surely there is a way to simply re-scan the blacklisted ones?

3. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

yes. : keep ALT pressed and click on Rescan this will rescan all , including blacklisted

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I foolishly did this before noticing it rescans ALL xD

6. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

happens to all of us mate

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

8. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Buy JBridge and convert the plugins into a JBridge .dll and it's over with this blacklisting shit. The WIN8 compatability mode is absolutely the worst scenario I can think of and scales back your overall performance to the Middle Ages.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

On a sidenote: if you grant admin rights to Live, drag and drop into ableton from explorer will not work.

10. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Nope you'll have to disable UAC to enable drag &drop. Drawback, you cannot use the Windows apps anymore. :no:

11. Caldera

Caldera Producer

The condition of the scanned plugins are all maintained in the Ableton database(files.db). it's only possible to rescan the plugins in the preferences panel.

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

?!?!

I already own jBridge. As I understand it though, I can't convert a 64 bit plugin into a jBridge plugin, without convert to 32 bit and then re-converting that 32 bit one back to 64 bit, which doesn't sound good to me (even if it did work).

13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You can convert a 64 bit to a 64 bit as long as you change the destination folder to something other than where the original plugin is located. Make sure the bridged plugin has a different name and move it and the text file back to the original location after the bridging process.

You can rescan an individual plugin by moving it out of whatever folder it's located in to a different folder, pressing Rescan (which should only scan for new plugins), then moving it back and rescanning again. You can also change the plugin name, rescan, revert name and rescan. These two ways let you scan blacklisted plugins without rescanning every single plugin.

I found a way to launch Windows Explorer as admin from a shortcut by changing permissions for a registry key and renaming the Run-As string. This will let you drag and drop while running Live as Admin.

DAWs: Why Do They Not Play Well With Win 10?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The admin issue has gone away. I can now use them all in both Studio One and Ableton. Only issue is that I have to run them in Windows 8 compatibility mode. Not sure what pros/cons of that are though?!?!

Tried the fix of creating a template with the Soundtoys EffectsRack on the master etc but doesn't seem to be buying it for me, so will have to live with Windows 8 compatibility for the moment at least. Or, as a workaround, I can run as per normal now I have scanned the plugins in and they are detected, and only run with Windows 8 compatibility if I intend on using the Softube/Duende stuff.

15. Milton Vega

Milton Vega Noisemaker

-Delete the failed .dll plugins
    -Scan plugins
    -Restores .dll plugin of Recycle Bin
    -Scan again plugins.
    -Enjoy

16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Is this win10 specific? Because on win7, disabling uac does diddly to the drag and drop problem.

17. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

yep easy :p

18. gloko

gloko Noisemaker

just move it in a different subfolder of your VST folder
    or move the plugin to the desktop, start ableton, let it load and close it.
    put the plugin back from the desktop and start ableton again