How do you properly create a horn ensemble?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by mkopans, Jun 10, 2016.

1. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

I've been working on some horn leads. I've been shooting for something like this track, but I can't seem to get close to the sound/vibe that these give off. Any tips/suggestions for layering horns? If someone wanted to take up the challenge of trying to make something similar to the ones below, that'd be great cuz I'm stuck :/

3. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Horns are notorious hard to emulate. The ones in the track above are straight out of Logic 9, Brass section. (the thing doesn't look like much but I've had very convincing results.)
    They're trumpets, layered. Kontakt standard content lib. has some very use-able horns in there that sound like the 'mariachi-like' trumpets.
    The trick is layering and eq'ing them correctly or they'll sound sheit and unbelievable. (a bit like the ones in the track...) Takes a little practice but once you got it, you got it forever. There's a ton of good kontakt libs out there like: Session Horns, Big Fish Audio - Funk Soul Horns 2, Classic Horn Section ... to name a few.

So, Kontakt factory lib > 1 - horns > Trumpet section. Good luck, cheers!

4. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

If you don't want to use a single 'section' patch and want to build up a section yourself try NI 'Session Horns' (as artwerkski suggested) which is pretty good for selecting the combo.

If you intend to layer yourself, always ensure the trumpet has the top note and voice down from there. There are plenty of really good articles on voicing (including drop voicing) which I suggest you google around until you find the answer(s) you're looking for.

Good luck