How do you manage to stay productive and motivated?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 洋鬼子, Sep 30, 2022.

1. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I've lately come across a lot of videos that talk about productivity regarding the topic of songwriting .
    That got me curious how huge your "average" musical output is wether it is composing or mixing / mastering.
    Also how do you approach these kind of things to stay more efficent as well as more motivated?

A good rate for me would be something like one song per month since it takes a lot of time for me to record and programm every instrument as well as mixing mastering.
    I usually noticed that especially during the composing stage I get hung up often due to the fact that I get writer's block from time to time.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The question is also, "Do I need to live from this - do I need to earn money to pay my family and the bills?".

An example using the band "Deine Lakaien" - they go into the studio for 2 years and record an LP/CD -
    then they are on tour with their product for 2 years.There the money is earned for the next 2 years.

Those up there want you to work hard and work very efficiently, you should exploit yourself as much as
    possible and also earn maximum money.They want to make money with you, earn taxes and control you.

So press the brake - stop and ask yourself: Do I have to produce new stuff all the time or is it enough to just play or listen to stuff.
    Am I already a robot? I would rather watch videos on how to decelerate and find your way back to yourself and nature.

My output used to be big and with increasing age my output is getting smaller and smaller. The output decreases rapidly
    with age. If you have writer's block, take a break, because creativity can't be forced. I think you don't need very much
    time for a song, but everyone has his own pace and working against the clock only makes stress and leads to dissatisfaction.

4. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

if you set limits to yourself like 1 song per month or anything like that you're doomed to work on ideas that might not give you the result you wanted apart from maybe improving some mixing/mastering skills

wait till u get a good idea, something you believe in, and then go for it...and when you finish, take as much of a break you can

unless of course its part of your work..like tv/film things i guess u need to have quantity of songs (from what i heard) which doesn't apply to what i said above

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List