How do you make this ringing sound?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Electropocalypse, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Electropocalypse

Electropocalypse Newbie

I'm thinking I can use this kind of sound for accents in a song I'm working on.

The sound can be heard in this song at 8 seconds in.

Trimetrick - The Dead:

I have no idea what it is... Maybe a bell sound with a long hold?

Thanks for your time guys!!

Oh and synths I use include Vital, Synth 1 and so on. (Currently freeware only... still learning...)

3. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

The key component of this ringing sound to my ears is aliasing / sample rate reduction.
    You could start by using sawtooth wave, playing it in a high octave and putting a plugin on it that internally reduces the sample rate of the incoming single. FabFilter Saturn 2 can do that on the "Destroy" mode for example, or XLN Audio RC-20's "Digital" module.

4. Electropocalypse

Electropocalypse Newbie

Jeez, thank you for the speedy response! I'm pretty bad with knowing how these things work.

So essentially I want to downsample the signal and reduce the sample rate?

Thanks for the information. I will watch some videos on aliasing and try to learn how it works.

In terms of plugins that are free I think Denise Bite Harder might work.

5. Electropocalypse

Electropocalypse Newbie

Update - slowly starting to get it... aliasing catches some signals in a waveform and interpolates these signals into a new waveform. This is a form of downsampling that reduces the sample rate.

There literally are zero free plugins that do this... I'll try playing around with bitcrushing and hope for the best. Thanks again. :)

6. Electropocalypse

Electropocalypse Newbie

Think I'm getting there. I simply pulled a singing glass sample from online and gave it some chorus, detuning and distortion.

Man this sound design stuff sure isn't easy but it's lots of fun.

7. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

I suggest you watch this video, that'll explain sample rates and aliasing better. Essentially it's artifacts from digital audio processing "because maths".
    Note that bit crushing and sample rate reduction are not the same!

Also, depending on which DAW you are using, you might already have internal tools for that already.
    In Ableton Live that would be "Redux", in Reaper "Lo-Fi" does a similar thing, albeit not exactly the same.
    After quickly searching Google there seems to be a free plugin from Fabric 70 called "Crush", that might interest you.
    Other (paid) plugins for that include Aberrant DSP Digitalis, Native Instruments Bite, Goodhertz Lossy, etc.
    Hope this helps.

8. emax2

emax2 Ultrasonic

I would get a free dx-7 emulator like dexed wich is free. I would then run it through vinyl and play with vinyl until you get the sound you want

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

FM is great for bell type sounds. For some reason, I get the feeling it is the very end of a riser sample looped and crossfaded so it may be played without the crescendo of a riser.

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

This is pure FM, even if it sounds like digitally processed.
    2 operators in series, the first one modulated by another sine wave.
    Looking at the sound spectrum at 8s position helps!

11. genophyte

genophyte Producer

im lazy and would just slap a ring modulator effect on a saw then take like 5 seconds for some filtering:rofl: