How do you make a single guitar track bigger?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Diogenes, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Cheers! There's already an aux send with Shredspread on. I actually use this more as a treble booster/exciter than for its intended purpose. Here's where the mix was at before I decided the guitar needed to be bigger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  2. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Somebody say bigger

[​IMG]

:winker:

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. For some more oompf route the signal into a transformer preamp for a little extra goodness, a Neve-ish circuit ir thereabouts, or...on the bits that are single notes, find a software that can turn them into midi information and use another instrument or guitar software as a little bed underneath to bolster the sound. The chord parts, double or whatever you decide to do. The difference in sound between the chords and the line notes will add excitement and adventure!

4. If that was on my rig, I'd passing it through the Thermionic Culture Vulture. Needs just a soupcon of head butt with a twist of aggro.

5. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Haha yes! I'd do the same if I wasn't limited to plugins. My only hardware is a Focusrite Twintrak and a Liquid Mix. The pre-master output went through my Liquid Mix version of Slate's MBC, which I know is really just outboard plugins but I like to kid myself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  6. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

So you're the one hacking my webcam!

7. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Your comment has led me to the final piece I needed, so thank you! I looked at Kazrog's Thermionik stuff just on the offchance they might be an emulation of the Culture Vulture and saw their Valve EQ. Tried it and like it, so the guitar enhancing chain is now ReelADT, Kclip, bxRefinement, De-Edger and Valve EQ, and the sound is much closer to what I wanted. (I was using Wilko Johnson's last record as a reference) Now to mix it all again. Thanks to everybody for your helpful ideas.

8. Bingo

Bingo Member

Chorus on the reverb?

9. Fog on the Tyne.

10. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Couldn't do head butt or aggro so I gave it some welly and belt instead. Probably more than a soupcon.