How do you keep up?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by toetea, Dec 4, 2023.

1. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

Every day all corners of the internet is exploding with new content, from social medias, to general media, from sister sites, to brother sites. How do you keep up with the constant flow of information and content?

You really have to pick and choose what you want to spend time on, because energy and time is limited.
    It gets hard to choose, and by making one choice you end up missing out on another choice.

What tips have you? I have been having a hard time keeping up with things online in general recently.

3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I used to wonder the same thing, but I found a great blog that gives summaries of all the new stuff, with links to more in-depth analysis, plus they partner with various video and audio curators and embed social media and current news feeds.
    Now I don't have any trouble keeping up with all the stuff.

But it's all I do.

Just to be clear, I was joking about any actual blog,etc.
    I agree with the OP but my point is that, if you want to really keep up with everything, it will be all you do... and still won't quite "keep up".
    One must decide what to ignore.
    Just as we learn to ignore all the dots on the ceiling tiles and all the shadows under the leaves of all the trees, we MUST learn to ignore nearly all of what exists around us, or go crazy.
    The inability to ignore those things is a major component of many mental problems and their attendant emotional problems.

I focus a bit on that by thinking about living off the grid, in a cabin with only nature around.
    It helps me let go. I have had the experiences of camping, and as a child and teen, spending a fair amount of time alone in the woods ( the most significant and easy for me to "visit" mentally) and in solitude in other ways.

For those who have never had nature as a "place to go" I imagine it might be a bit harder.
    I have thought that I was quite unsuccessful with meditation, but the practices are effective even at shallow depth.
    Every degree and moment of silence, reflection, escape, etc are valuable... but you must begin.
    Closing the eyes is a great way to start.

After you read this, just close your eyes and think "What if I was at the beach?" or some other place or activity.
    I like "What if I was having sex?". :bleh:
    Well, sometimes what you DO is not nearly as important as what you do NOT DO. :bow:
    Do NOT just "keep on keeping up" with it all.

Sometimes distractions and doing nothing useful or productive at all is important.
    Obsessive activities simulate "productive" and "useful" even when we they are NOT.

For example, I will ignore the next R2R release.

Well, maybe I will start with something easier.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. typical-love

typical-love Producer

Go with what feels true to you, try new things, have an open mind, but also... raise the bar on your standards, filter more things out. Lot of bullshit out there these days. Nearly everything, really.

5. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Is there something important for you online that you need to keep up with? It's ultimately pointless and just noise for me. I check the news, emails, YT, sistersite and the forum to see if something interesting is there.
    It mostly isn't ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

i dont, i hyper fixate / go adhd crazy on something then move on to the next thing. it sucks.

Try to not worry about keeping up with everything. We are not supposed to. The internet is a crazy onslaught of emotions, information, opinions and lies, truths and hope, etc etc etc. We are not supposed to be able to digest this much information. Make sure to spend as much time as possible with (good/real) friends and family, and outdoors in big nature whenever possible. Practice some sort of spirituality, or discipline practice, wether that be yoga, workout, hiking, church, psychedelics, etc etc. Something that can help ease your anxieties and soothe your worries of needing to keep up.

Remember you dont need to keep up with everything, if something is not serving you, or is causing you more stress than benefit, throw it away, and do not let that thing consume your precious energy. You can always come back to it at another time when you have the emotional or spiritual space for it.

Good luck, and don't worry you are not alone.

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

For me it's easy. When I get spare time, I'll pick up a newspaper or sift through my favourites on the net. I figure as long as I know more than I did before I started, the process was worth while!

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You're asking how to cope with all the "novelties" and news, I think. If you have a goal in your life, you will know the answer to that question, but since you're asking that I guess you're having problems focusing on your goals. It's about training yourself and discipline, then sticking to it naturally.

You just don't go to 6 different social media websites every day. You just don't waste time on unimportant things. You sit and work every day for a set amount of hours. You use a small amount of plugins that you know well and they work for you. Stuff like that. You have to be the one in control of yourself and put bounds on your behaviour. Pretty much anything in life can become an addiction. It's important to be able to recognise it for what it is and not do it so much or get rid of it. Nobody will suffer if you don't appear here or there every day. :wink:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I don't. If I feel like looking at something, I do. I look in here fairly regularly. But mostly I let the world do its thing and ignore it all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

The only time I'm on my phone aka the internet is when I can't be productive doing something else, takin a poop, Dr's visits, family functions, long redlights.. I'll listen yo podcasts and music related stuff doing my exercises.. other then that.. I'm off of here .. and being creative .. seems to work out good .. yes my brain is always stimulated.. but hey YOLO

11. Spydaboiii

Spydaboiii Newbie

Honestly here’s my strat:

1. Amass either RSS feeds, or find pre-made ones, from sources you deem to be most reputable.​

2. Check daily, with a mind to ONLY focus on the content which is truly novel (max ADHD).​

3. Monitor either keywords or hashtags in your given domains on various social media platforms (TikTok, X, YouTube etc)​

By doing above,I tend to be an early adopter of new trends and am generally knowledgeable about my given domains.

12. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

These are really good tips thank you. Do you have any suggestions for some RSS feeds? Maybe it was the app I was using because it would not save older posts, but I found the limit of posts available per feed to be a big limitation for me.

The keyword tip is great for finding new things in your niche. Or if your TikTok/Youtube is finely tuned, just your feed or related videos can be a great source for "new stuff".

You don't check SisSit every day?? Yes there really is not that much time when you think about it. The time flies by even faster when you are doing engaging stuff or just busy with work and other responsibilities.

I would want to know what is happening everywhere, all the time. Maybe that is a type of autism. It is the impossible task, so you just have to pick your favorite or the most important for you at the time and run with it. It is already impossible with vst's and etc alone. People like Stevie Dude are a godsend. He shares his knowledge and time with us when he does not have to, it is nice that he has chosen to do what he does. Comments and personal experience help guide the community + it is nice when people are not gatekeepers.
    It is so easy to gatekeep information but there is no fun in that. Let's spread the fun!
    Everybody is in a race against themselves anyway.

I know my mission but I am definitely flooded by novelty and other nonsense. Minimalism is definitely something to strive for. Going back to the basics and fundamentals helps clear the noise. I think for a period you need to go all out maximalist, but eventually, if you did things right and gained the proper experience, you can eventually strip away a lot of the fat and have a whole new way of doing things.

I am working on a lot of things but I am always working on something, I really need more rest. I do agree there is no need to check every site every day, but it is good to stay sort of caught up with certain spaces. It is wise also to not download everything either guys! It is good to be picky sometimes. Unplugging from the web is super healthy too, but the only thing I would hate to miss is a post from SisSit, you know sometimes things get removed for one reason or another, and it might completely fly under your radar for a couple months. So yes I may have a few addictions also. :winker:

13. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

I do exactly the oposite, I edit the host file and block a lot of pages, so I can counter the distracctions and focus longer on whatever I'm doing or learning in front of the computer. Fuck the FOMO, If attention is a comodity these days don't sell yours cheap. What are you really missing? A sister site release that got taken down? Usually on the russian site already.

I'm talking about this while riding the AI wave and incorporating it to the place I work in and onto my own workflows, there things go so fast that is pointless to try to catch everything. Just focus on what sparks your brain's long term reward circuity. Don't eat the chips.

14. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

I just get a bit of FOMO with everything. I would hate to be missing out on something. :mad: This post and the responses kind of helped settle things. I got to get my head in the game more.

I should definitely pick up the newspaper sometime.

It's a disability as much as a superpower. It is super easy to burn yourself out. I definitely do similar things, but once you do it enough there isn't really much more to hyper-fixate on, unless you are always looking for the next shiniest object. I mainly focus on audio, some video, social, and world affairs. Maybe some AI stuff or engineering or circuit-bending (would be fun to get more into those things in the future). Sometimes I go on a graphics design binge. I guess just depends on the day and the time I have.

You make some good points. Almost everything about the world and modern life is unnatural, and there is so much noise out there and information, that if you do not have a solid head on your shoulders, it is very easy to get washed up or burnt out. Or can choose to ignore it all completely and live in a little bubble. Neither option really sounds great. Knowledge is definitely power, but it comes with pains too.
    In my eyes there is a pain in ignorance too, but it's more of a pain you have no awareness of, or you kinda know something is wrong but have no idea why.

Family + Friends + Nature + Spirituality + Personal Growth = Major Keys by DJ Khaled :cheers:

This Winter has been a tough one so far. I really need to get back to physical activity and also incorporate Yoga and stretching, thank you for the reminder.

It is really hard to say whether something is serving me or not, sometimes it does and sometimes it is taking from me. I think ultimately I have to make that decision for myself and see how things balance out. I can barely keep up with the SisSite tbh. I have yet to play most of the stuff from the Big Gong... Now we are almost 2024. There was not much talk about EW compared to Falc, I guess because most of EW sounds dated and not as good (it is not useless but it is not the greatest material to work with). Other libraries or synths just sound great out of the box, makes mixing a whole lot less tedious.

I pretty much check the same websites as you plus the occasional other thing here and there or maybe research a topic, but with what you mentioned alone I can barely keep up. With work, family, and kid in my life it gets hard to juggle everything. Just fighting the burnout. I even cut out YT now and I still can't keep up and my e-mail is filled with a bunch of promotional garbage that I need to delete.

Probably at most like 10% of what we look at would be considered useful, but you would never find it if you weren't looking. At the same time the flow never stops so it is kind of this constant race of trying to stay sort of caught up in certain things. I find that it will have its payoffs in time, but right now it just hurts.

Yes man good to stay on your toes but also have an open mind. Trust your gut but be open to get out of your loops. I think to be a great human nowadays you need to be a walking contradiction, be the nicest guy in the room but also sniff out the bullshit when you can. A lot of pushers out here, it makes finding something real even more valuable.

I fell for it lol I really thought there was a magic blog. I mean there already is one if you know about it. :cool:

It had really become an all-consuming activity, and it can still be in some ways, but I really had to dial things down this year. A positive from all this, although I was burdened at times, was that I am more happy with how things are now because I have less G.A.S. and FOMO nowadays. I am content with my current set of tools and work, and if I have some extra time maybe I will try something new. So things have changed from the beginning. In other ways I am still stuck in my old ways. Maybe I just like the insanity and the dopamine, not really sure, and maybe a Schizophrenic can see all the leaves or the tiles lol. There definitely may be some underlying mental illness to it. Maybe the mental illness is just being human. I do not know a soul who is not addicted to something. Everyone is hooked on something. I could just be hooked to audios. :hahaha:

Going camping or being in nature in a cabin with no cell service is great, helps unplug the mind. It's been so long I have had internet I start to get a weird itch if I don't have it lol. Sounds like a sign to spend more time outdoors.

It really is hard to draw a line when an obsessive activity is not useful anymore. Maybe we are all 1 plugin away from top charts and music awards. :chilling:

Meditation is golden advice. Better to do some than none at all! Like everything else it is about building the muscle. Your mind and body (and maybe spirit) will thank you for it.

Peace and blessings to all. :hug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

almost everything they tell you is false. that's how they killed a billion people.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

disable notifications, popups, ads.... simply don't play that attention snatch game, quit/disable social networks randomly for a while to see if you're not brain-dead addicted....
    only intentionally consume content you care about to see (does not mean you should only look at what you like, that would be living in the bubble)

17. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

I need to edit the hosts file and block the pages in my brain bro. I'm not selling my attention for pennies, maybe dollars. :yes:

I do know what you are saying but how could I search for something that I don't know was available in the first place? I also do not have an account on russian site so I can't check out the stuff there, so that is part of the reason too.

Yes just in AI alone there is god knows how many new developments each day. You are right you just gotta pick one thing and run with it, find the/your spark.

Do you have any recommendations besides SD for image generation that I could use commercially?

After all this typing and discussing it really made me realize how pointless it is to try to keep up. :bow:
    It's like asking to go insane.

Real. Real eyes, realize, real lies. The system is cooked. Hug your loved ones and tell them you love them.

This year I have pretty much cut out all social media use and I still have been having trouble keeping up. I may use Instagram or YouTube but the level of use is beyond negligible. It's something to do on the toilet or between activities.

Just keeping up with tech advancements, sister, world affairs, and personal research on top of my real life responsibilities has me up to the limits that my brain can take. This surely will not last forever, it is just not healthy. I have been taking actions to change my ways for better, but some things would be harder to resolve. Unless I become so busy or involved with life that I do not even have an ounce of thought or attention to give to anything but what is there in front of me, not what lurks the interwebs.

Really I have nothing to complain about at the end of the day. It is all a blessing and a privilege, and we are lucky to be alive now to share this momentous dance together. My world would have been duller and less bright without the blessings and privileges.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  18. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

Also support the good devs if you can! :yes:

19. 0on3

0on3 Guest

@toetea ,
    If ya dont mind I am going to quote you line to line ....

[ the internet is exploding with new content ] NO , it really isnt , its just a giant landfill , full of garbage info that dosnt represent
    anything but a bunch of garbage opinions !! Dont be fooled or drawn into it , pick and choose carefully what fits your point of
    veiw and move on !!

[ from social medias, to general media] Social media , really isnt. Id stay away from as much of that as you possibly can , it really is
    the sewage hole of the interenet !! if your a musician just trying to get info for the tools you might need , its better tp track it from its
    original source and not from the worlds opinions , ( because its easy to give advice , when you dont have to pay the price !!)

[ energy and time is limited. ]
    And that is the truest statment you have made in your posting , just follow that advice for yourself ,
    and you will win everytime !!

[ It gets hard to choose, and by making one choice you end up missing out on another choice.} It is hard at first to choose
    what you think is correct , But be wise about your own taste and what your looking for in creating your OWN music and stcik with taht !!

[ What tips have you? ] keep your own ideas and ambitions as you want to believe. having an open mind really isnt a good thing ,
    all the time . In fact , it can wash away your own originallity and ideas you have set fourth , so you dont have to be closed mined .
    but i highly suggest be very objective of all and anything you get off the internet. You really have to learn to be yourself and trust that.
    but I totally believe you can just read things off the interenet other folks are saying and think its ever better then what your focus already
    may be !! As for plugins , tools , DAW's ect , ect .... Just try the things you know fit your style and creativity , piss on everyone else , right !!

And see the irony of my message is .... it falls right into the fold of everything Im trying to tip you off about.
    just another damned opinion , and point of view ; ( which belongs to me ) , so get what you want out of it , and just move on
    with your own ideas , and support YOURSELF , not someone else's !!

p3ACE !!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2023
  20. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

Do you think Aphex Twin is keeping up with things online ?

What advices would he have for you ?

21. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I got off almost all social media a few years ago. No personal accounts, just a youtube and facebook page to follow music news and promote occasional music releases. The pandemic fucked a lot of people up mentally, myself included, and I made the conscious decision to turn down the noise once things got back to "normal". I manage my anxiety and depression by walking and working out and learning as much as I can about production to keep the creativity up.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List