How do you keep track of the versions of your songs?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Ryck, Jun 27, 2022.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Most good DAW's have the facility to do multiple mix saves and in some, song versions as well - all within a single session.
    Some workflow-oriented DAW's like Cubase, Studio One, ProTools and Logic have those plus saving multiple varieties of configurations in: inserts, settings, etc etc etc... customisable with macros too - It all depends how many different things any person wants to do with any given tune.

I figure if the person knows what they want from the tune, they have an excellent idea before they press record or start anything at insert level other than gain balancing of what they want at the end so the versions will be limited and perhaps only the mixes will be greater in number.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

For parts go to Reaper Preferences/appearance/media and tick both "notes" and "no notes". You will get a "hamburger" button on every item that you can write info in. :wink:

I don't use track notes although I have SWS extension installed. Item notes and project notes are perfectly enough for me. However, here's the info on how to make project and track notes:

Cheers! :wink:

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

4. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

I put a + at the end of the name file. So NeuroStuffSoundDsing++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.als has to be the last version.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

"almost finished" has a certain durability to it. A nice hdd shelf life.

6. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I have projects from 2018 that I haven't finished yet (can you believe? )
    I hope this time I organize myself better, and not be so indecisive

7. fishnose

fishnose Producer

I have a number as part of the file name for each new version. A recent project has reached version 083.
    And very important changes are noted in file name.
    I keep all old versions of projects. It happens that I go back to an earlier version when I'm not happy with the way things have gone.

8. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

unless you are getting paid to mix stuff, I see no need to make notes to the extent you guys are talking about... When I make something I try to make it all at once, especially if I am really feeling what I'm doing and genuinely good ideas/sounds are emitting from my speakers. After doin it for over 12yrs I can say I am to the point where I know what my daily driving plugins will do to the audio and I use them when the time warrants their use (meaning I don't just throw plugins on a track, have no idea what they do then fumble thru it keeping track of the changes inside of a word app). I rarely second guess my self or disregard a gut feeling and when I do its something small that can just ctrl+Z and go back to what it was. I'm not changing song keys or completely changing an idea to the point I cant go back to it within a couple undos... I'm not even making songs in keys most the time, I just use my ears. I Just make what I feel at the time and don't try to impress anyone with goofy FX sounds, genre precise arrangements and goofy drops and shit... especially when I am capturing the idea for the first time.

I don't even try to make songs, I make ideas, and if I am working thru a new idea I randomly came to senses with and I have "that feeling" it is gonna be a good one, I see it thru to the end - to the point where I can go back and clean things up and get more precise and do the surgical stuff... but as far as just coming up with new material and needing a word doc or download a journal app and keep it open to keep track of changes.... yah, that's completely overkill, not necessary and comes off very try hard... just make music and when it comes finish it, save it in a "good ideas folder" and revisit it later. Like the song I uploaded is from that folder... its all there it just needs to be made into a real song now as part of an album... but this was made in maybe 2 hours max

if you have your own sound, it will fall into a genre and things will come naturally and you wont second guess yourself.. If you are trying to make something fit the bounds of a genre, you will second guess yourself and you will need to make notes to keep track of things because you are unnaturally making music, forcing yourself to stay within a certain sound.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

the Notes in Logic are awesome. The only reason why I have not recommended it, is because they are not running it. I really prefer a pen and paper while I listen to my own project, bounced. That way I can make a list of everything I want to address; and do as much as possible of it in one sitting. When you have all of it in front of you, you can see all sorts of mistakes or extra work that would come later on in your project. Because of the things you do/would do first.

10. Ryck

Ryck Guest

very nice pad, I took the dare to put a guitar on it.

Attached Files:

11. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

That's very nice, kinda made my day! I took some notes about your performance and jotted down the timestamps where I heard issues (kidding)