How do you double your Instrument Patches?

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by Fabulous-K, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Fabulous-K

Fabulous-K Newbie

Hey there,

Im trying to get a somewhat realistic Orchestral Template with kontakt libraries right now.

After I saw that especially film composers like John Williams uses for example 3 Trumpets (he is also of course doubling multiple other woodwinds and brass) I want 3 solo Trumpet legato tracks in my template.
    But when I use 3 solo trumpets together it doesn’t have nearly as much power as an ensemble patch with 2-4 trumpets has
    (I tried various libraries: Cinesamples Brass, Nucleus, CSBrass (my favourite so far), Spitfire Brass and Sample Modeling Trumpets)

How do you do it?
    Shall I use multiple ensemble patches which will end up having at least 6 trumpets playing something 3 trumpets should play or should I use 3 solo trumpets which won’t have nearly the power of an ensemble patch?

Or should I maybe use a sustain ensemble patch, where I can have multiple notes played in one patch? (but sustain patches also doesn’t sound as good as legato patches)

thx :))

3. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Not really an expert, but I would say first (if not obvious) use 3 different libraries. Second, try to slightly detune 2 of them.

4. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

is worth a watch.

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Welcome to AS!
    If you are playing more than one note in the ensembles patch, obviously you are playing more than 3 trumpets hence you saying they are more powerful.
    Also dont forget that each of those different lib tracks will need to be individually edited in its MIDI so that the attack transients line up etc.
    Which is probably why you talk of lack of "power".

6. Fabulous-K

Fabulous-K Newbie

yeah he talks a bit of it, but sadly not about doubling brass and woodwinds :/

7. Fabulous-K

Fabulous-K Newbie

Ensembles are already powerful just playing single notes. More than just doubling 2 solo trumpets. I already got told the solo trumpet would need to be different ones. But it sounds weird when I mix different solo trumpets from different libraries. I try to get Berlin Brass now as I heard it has more then jut 1 solo trumpet but multiple. Layering them willl probably sound much better!

8. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Which is how they should be used if you want to be authentic. You just echo what I said!
    If you do use all the same company, then they will require less editing after.
    If you layer different companies, you will have to do what I already said above.