How do you decide what genre to produce?

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by Bunford, Jun 3, 2020.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

My stuff that I do for others, that is soundtrack work, it's mainly defined by tempo.

Is it a fast scene? Then perhaps a d'n'b beat would work, or maybe a metal kind of tinge.

Slow? Then acoustic number or a lofi hiphop ambient thing perhaps.

For my own stuff I just start with something without thinking too much, the initial beat or instrument defines it.

2. The Freq

The Freq Guest

Once a person loves music it is the greatest dopamine drug in humankind. It has the capacity for expression, introspection, creativity limited only by imagination and joy.
    In saying all of that and reading what you like, it really boils down to what makes you happy. That happiness can be permanent or as you imply at times, fleeting. Regardless of the duration of contentment, being happy and honest in your music, as in who you are, is a powerful driving force and one I believe you should listen to. Intuition in music is important. That is, if it feels right, do it. What you should do?? This is not something any person is qualified to answer other than yourself. The only advocacy I can present is that which makes you happiest and brings joy. :)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Progressive

Progressive Newbie

I switched between genres for 6 years, and i think it really hindered me from becoming proficient in one genre. I love way too many electronic genres.

I decided to stick with progressive house/melodic techno when i heard Artbat and MatadorĀ“s Apollo 11 on the best sound system in town and the synths felt like electricity on my skin :mad:

4. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I like to try things that no one has even thought of before (at least I think so). Not everyone's cup of tea, but I play for fun. I suck at composing, but I can do resurection!

This is only a small piece of it. The entire thing is 7 minutes long.

I wonder how many people can identify it?

Attached Files:

5. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

And nobody get laid to make music ---> ({`}) <---

6. Arjunpulika

Arjunpulika Newbie

Great information here. Thank you!
    cell info

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

This will sound corny but here goes:
    Make your own genre by making your own music.

Fnck the fools that lump it in with everything else and try to label you.

8. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    Also try to get out and collaborate with others. You'll never know what will come out of it, and there's always something to learn!

9. coralmay

coralmay Member

I mainly have an idea in my head and set the tempo on the beat im on, for example if its a fast track or slow track and go slowly building up there my idea and adding more elements, if i start to lose interest and i dont know what to add, i can simply save the project and work on a new version of it where i keep adding stuff that wouldnt fit and see if it does or just work on another project which keeps building up ideas.
    If im getting a request or something then what the fuck am i gonna do, work on what the guy told me to do on the way he wants it.