How do you compensate for the absense of flats in FL?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by onemanorgy, Jul 30, 2021.

1. onemanorgy

onemanorgy Member

Showing up late to the game regarding Music theory. I'd like to formally learn though and I guess when I say formally I mean properly. That's why I'm thinking of switching DAWS and really don't want to, or possibly just do the drums in FL and maybe relearn Ableton for Melodies and bounce them out into FL sequence.

I asked advice on a sub reddit about B♭ minor and I'm told to go a semi half note down yada yada a# blah.
    I feel like I'm being robbed and do you think Developers at Image-Line will at least put in an option for flats?

What do you do to make up for FL Studios weakness of no Flats in the midi roll?

3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Allright, I'll bite.
    To my knowledge, no DAWs bother with flats. It's all the same 12-semitone equal temperament, and all the functionality is in your head only - right where it belongs.
    There's no need to compensate. For a DAW, it's only a frequency.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  4. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

nothing half note down! thats yada yada! an a sharp IS in fact a b flat, without bla!
    orgy, my honest advice is take the deepest roots of music theory, youre not able to use a keyboard at this moment.

5. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

That's not really correct. It's the same frequency, but depending on a context, it's a different function.

6. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Enharmonic Bros..

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  7. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Best Answer
    yup there is a difference between flats and sharps when communicating the sound your are going for
    check 9:26 in this video for further explanation

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. clipper

clipper Producer

As far as I know, a B♭ minor is just the same as A♯ minor => A♯ - C♯ - F => B♭ - D♭ - F => A♯ - D♭ - F => B♭ - C♯ - F
    What's the trouble with that?

9. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

It's A hashtag.
    Nah it's a big B, little b...
    That's why we can't have nice things.

It doesn't matter all the buttons make little boops.

10. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

I'm almost sure that Magix Samplitude, Sequoia and Reaper do flats.
    Using flats or sharps is a question of context and readability.
    F major scale for instance, is much easier readable written
    F G A Bb C D E
    Than
    F G A A# C D E

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  12. clone

clone Audiosexual

is that sort of how Logic score deals with display of "accidentals" w/ enharmonic shift. etc ?

13. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

That's my man! Just do it! Fuck that FL shite..Ableethowen FTW!! :headbang:

14. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I cannot answer to the FL question, I guess piano roll is just intended as a quick tool, I agree it shouldn't be too difficult to have the option of flat, but....

It really matters when you're dealing with scores, example B maj has 5 accidentals (#) while Cb maj has 7 (b) but the pitch are just the same, you won't hear any difference, though there is a reason why enharmonic exists.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Wait, what? FL does piano roll the same way Ableton does, right? It's got flats and sharps just like any other piano roll (they key word here being: piano).

But because Live has a similar note editor (again, piano roll) you'd gain nothing from switching purely from note editing standpoint. But if you fancy a switch, you can run FL as a plugin within Ableton.

16. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Yes A# and Bb are enharmonic equalivants. In no way is that ever an excuse for omitting flats. Any audio software guilty of this is the laughing stock of the bunch.

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I shared a flat with Gigi Sharp. It was a 5/4 duplex on the corner of Allegro and Rhapsody. Our relationship was one of harmony, and although for some reason the landlord had given us just the one key we shared it, leaving it under the Madrigal plant next to the front door so the other could unlock it when the other was away.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. onemanorgy

onemanorgy Member

Lmao.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. onemanorgy

onemanorgy Member

That YouTuber - " This moment I feel perfectly encapsulates music's narrative role it's ability to tell a story in a way that makes you feel it on a physical level and the way that all by myself does this through a very clever key change, it's an example of modal mixture, common tone, and double chromatic, mediant modulation."

Now what he said I don't know wtf he's talking about cept for Modal Mixture, but that very feeling you get when "youre onto something here" is what I rely on to make music that is going to hit you straight through to your soul, or your body more specifically your booty shaken it right, left, up, or down and move it.

Despite Celine D sounding like she's deaf when she throws out her syllables. That was an awesome performance.

"Part of musicianship is mediating the immediate physical shock of moments of emotional resonance."

Ohh my fuck, that perfectly describes what I aim for when I perform or write any kind of music. What I understood from the video keys or root notes be it major or minor can borrow notations from each other. So I borrow things from A# to make b? First part of this paragraph is only thing that keeps me making more music and affords me to make melodies or catchy tunes, and if I don't get that "feeling" it's not good, and was able to get away with not learning scales and through trial and error finding each note 1 by 1 I want to use by trial and error and kept me at a computer chair working on 1 melody for days or weeks. I just thought it be better to learn and then put into practise in a DAW that has flats. Ill look for software someone mentioned in above post or see if I can mimic it in Piano Roll. I just figured wasted a lot of time "just getting by" instead of diving deep.
    But thanks for answer.

20. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Who cares my cat avoids walking on those lesser keys anyways. They don't seem important to him so they aren't important to me.

He knows the safest route of survivability just like pop does. He's not sorry, you should be sorry.