how do you check if your audio has clicks and pops?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stav, May 29, 2024.

1. stav

stav Noisemaker

my monitors do some clicks and pops but i'm not sure if its my audio file or my monitors issue

how do you check if audio has clicks and pops?

THanks

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Loop a bar and see if it repeats in the exact same locations?

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

in Reaper, I use SWS extension "Loudness" which can analyze items/tracks - just make sure to enable High Precision Mode and True Peak in its Options
    and for other kinds of pops and clicks, iZotope RX de-click, de-clip and such modules actually count amount of those, so usable for estimation too

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I'd use a dedicated piece of software like the aforementioned iZotope.

If you want to do this in Reaper regardless and assuming you've rendered to audio:

- (Trivial) Peaks: Toggle spectrogram: On. Zoom in and look for clicks, they'll be very bright and very brief.
    - (Somewhat involved) Edit->Dynamic Split will mark/split off clicks for future editing - if you get the settings right.

6. paul_audioz

paul_audioz Ultrasonic

If you use Reaper, the easiest way is doing a "dry render". This gives you all the information you need: peak, number of clips, all the LUFS values and LRA. Pushing the Stats/Charts gives you a webpage with even more information. My experience, I am a very very very amateurish hobby player, is using a very simple limiter as last FX (eg Reaper's own Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper with Treshold=0 and Ceiling=-0.2) and each render will be clip free.
    One reminder although: when your wav is clip-free, converting to mp3 might result in clippings. I guess some professional here will be able to explain why that is and hopefully also how to prevent this from happening when rendering your file wave.