how do you balance the drive to be good at work with the passion to be good at your hobby?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zeyad eLmoghazy, May 24, 2020.

1. Zeyad eLmoghazy

Zeyad eLmoghazy Producer

I struggle with this a lot , I realized earlier that music is a thing I love and I dont care about making money off of it , I have a 9 to 5 job that pays the bills , but I sometimes feel like balancing work and music is impossible , one of them have to win eventually which is depressing to me because I will always choose my job , Do you have any advice on how to balance them ?

3. Polomo

Polomo Rock Star

That’s a complicated thing.
    If you can live with less money a half or 3/4 Job could give you the time for more music making .
    I think do what you love.

It always dependent on many factors . I for example balance things like this, I got an 11 h day 4 hours are just traveling by train from work to home. But this 4 h I use for making music on my mobile devices . (Yes they are limited but enough for a rough draft)

If you love making music you will find the free time for it.

4. Lenny Belardo

Lenny Belardo Platinum Record

Warning! Cautionary tale ahead. As a kid I was always drawing. Then I loved painting. When it came time to choose a career I studied graphic design. Brilliant! Combine what I enjoy with a money making job. When it became my job, it was work. Often hard work with long hours and deadlines. I'd come home weekends and the last thing I wanted to do to relax was draw. So music became my new hobby. I got good enough that I was playing live nearly every night of the week. Then I moved into recording, engineering and production. I did this almost seven days a week. I worked for others and made money. It was my job. My hobby was hard work. Now I'm retired and I can make any music I want, yet without an actual job brief, I don't have a reason to write music. Like drawing, if there's nobody to say "we need a picture of flying pigs" then the sheet of blank paper stays blank. As with a request for music to go with a short documentary about... let's say, flying pigs, the blank project on my DAW stays blank.
    The point: Not many music producers make a substantial income unless they work for a client, then you're back where you started.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List