How do the DJs here find and listen to tracks and how do you find the time?

Discussion in 'DJ' started by Bunford, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Bunford

Bunford Rock Star

Like at least some others here I'm sure, I have a ''normal' job outside of music that takes up most of my days.

I'm just curiously wondering what others do, especially those in similar "got other jobs" scenarios, to be able to consume enough music and dig through the drivel to find the gold dust to DJ with?

How do you go about it? What resources do you use? And how do you find enough "listening" time?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Networking with other DJs means it's not just my eyes an ears out there, searching for diamonds in the rough. Shared info on cool "finds" can drive one to check out a particular artist, or a label's back catalogue.

Also, having enough fallback material to fill a couple of weeks' worth of sets gets you some breathing space for the weeks when there's not a lot of fresh releases happening. Even if you can find no more than an hour a day for searches, it keeps the motor running.

Charts? I never use them. If it's charting, it's already old news.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. electriclash

electriclash Rock Star

:like::like:

5. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Producer

getting tons of Promo's. and keeping track of the labels i like on Beatport

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Midnight Furie

Midnight Furie Kapellmeister

Networking is key. Where do I get most of my music from? Twitter and here, AS. Sometimes it's artists themselves sending me tracks, or their reps. Sometimes it's 'indie' support groups sending me tracks from new artists. Not forgetting the wealth of talent on AS.

An hour a day is about right, I understand there are certain programmes out there that will search genre's for you and list tracks that you can listen to at your leisure. Don't forget to keep a separate back-up of your tracks and keep an eye on the labelling. iTunes is notorious for mislabelling tracks, calling 'Rock' 'Metal' and vice versa. I probably don't have to tell you any of this but I like being complete. :)

7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Audiosexual

crates.co

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Futurewine

Futurewine Rock Star

Maybe or maybe not useful, one resource from my bookmark:

Dave Tompkins :: Music Database - https://www.cs.ubc.ca/~davet/music/index.html

Comment: Huge database and contains most known artists/songs/genres up to 2013.
    I like its search by BPM function. Pretty much fast result and display all related tracks on a single page.
    Sadly, the search box is not functioning, you have to use navigation menu.