How do old hardware work today with current software and Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phoberus, Mar 1, 2019.

1. phoberus

phoberus Noisemaker

Hello everyone.

Since I don't have a physical audio device, I searched the Internet in my country for old hardware. But I'm wondering if it still works with the current software or if I should switch to cheap new devices. So far I've done everything directly with the DAW and the MIDI editor.

I only make music as a hobby (HipHop beats) and otherwise I am a film student, with whom I sometimes also have to create a soundstage for the films.

I quickly found the following devices: (all prices in Swiss Francs plus 7-8 francs to send)
    • Machine MK1: 59 CHF
    • AKAI MPC STUDIO: 60-199 CHF (Auction)
    • AKAI MP32: 15 CHF

What would you recommend? new or old?
    Unfortunately my budget is very limited, but I would still enjoy trying something new.

Software:
    • Windows 10
    • Cockos Reaper
    • NI Kontakt
    • Omnisphere
    • Maschine (never really used much)

Many thanks and a nice weekend to all of you.

3. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

For what you're using I would either go with MP32 or the Maschine MK1...you didn't mention using the MPC software at all so the MPC studio seems pricey if you're just using it as a MIDI controller.

If you're looking for something that you can use mostly within Repear probably with a fair amount of setup then the MPD32 might work.

The Maschine MK1 used works just fine with Windows 10 and if you're looking for a simple in the box solution it might be the way to go. Chances are you aren't using the Maschine software that much because it's meant to be used with the hardware and you're missing out on a lot of the functionality and ease of using the Maschine software in the first place.

The MK2 Maschine doesn't really offer too much more other than colored pads so your not missing much. The cheapest way to purchase the Maschine is used and without the software. You lose on resale values but the k'ed version works just fine.

Hope that helps =)